Rubber??

Decorating By kels_bells Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm by Niliquely

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 12

I decorated 2 cakes last weekend and used SATIN ICE. I had a call from the lady saying that it tasted like rubber. Has anyone else had this happen? I personally don't like any fondant so I can't compare. But I figure when you pay Almost $100 per bucket it should taste great. LOL

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 12

They just are not used the the texture of fondant icon_smile.gif
Many people just do not understand or like it.

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with kakeladi. It's the texture most people don't like. I personally love the taste of Satin Ice but I have a texture thing and can't stand the chewiness on a cake.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 12

Even Wilton fondant does not taste like rubber. Its the texture.

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 12

I use MMF....how does Satin Ice compare in flavor, texture, and work-ability to MMF? Is it worth the extra money?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 12

I always have to laugh when i read post likes this, i dont know if 'fondant' as the americans call, is different to 'ready to roll icing' as brits call it. But it sure looks and sounds the same, nearly every person ive met loooves icing on a cake, its the best bit to some! including me hehehe!!! and yet i hear of so many people who really dont like it and even peel it off the cake before they serve . . it baffles me but hey ho never mind lol! Just thought id stick my nose in a bit lolx

QueenOfSweets Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 12

kels_bells,
I meant to ask you also about the price of nearly $100 per bucket that you referred to in your original post. I order Satin Ice all the time and that seems high to me. Is that for a 20 pound bucket? The last time I ordered it, I paid right at $46 for a 20# bucket from Global Sugar Art. With UPS shipping it was $70.

Niliquely Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 12

Hey I thought the brits called it sugarpaste! I always love reading books by authors like Lindy Smith where all the measurements are in metric and they spell their words funny...."colour the sugarpaste". Hee hee - I love those crazy brits!

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 12

QueenOfSweets
Here in Canada it is quite hard to find Satin Ice. I got this from Goldas Kitchen it sells for $92.70 per 10kg bucket. I have since found a place in Toronto that sell it for $52 so I'll be going there from now on. I personally love to work with Satin Ice Takes the stress and mess out of making it.

QueenOfSweets Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 12

I apologize, kels_bells. I didn't read under your avatar that you're in Canada. That certainly explains the higher cost. I am glad that you found another source that is less expensive though!!

Like you, I love working with Satin Ice. I tried making my own fondant and MMF as well but prefer the Satin Ice.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 12

im pretty sure what we brits call sugarpaste, Is what you guys call Gumpaste!!
although i could be wrong . . dont quote me on that hehehe

Niliquely Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 12

I think Lindy calls gumpaste "flowerpaste". She has several though....sugarpaste, flowerpaste, modeling paste...I have one of her books, but I have never tried any of her designs yet. I did use her recipe for gumpaste (flowerpaste) and had success with making roses out of that on my Valentine cake.
I have never tried Satin Ice...so far I can't justify buying it when everyone around here seems pleased with MMF...I wish they sold little samples!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%