How Do I Know How Much Cake Mix I Need?!

Decorating By jlcotto Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm by JanH

jlcotto Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a cake with a boxed mix because they seem to be the most moist and taste I am happy with the boxes and I am short on time...but when I use an 8 x 3 round cake pan, I need 1 box of cake mix, I also have a 10 x 3, so how do I know how much mix I need for that pan?

The pans come with no information, and the box is not helpful either, unless I just am misunderstanding how to read them...can someone please shed some light on you are supposed to know this stuff?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance! Jen C.

1 reply
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 2

Wilton has charts that give batter requirements by pan size, as well as recommended baking times and temps.

When using 3" deep pans, the use of a heat core or inverted flower nails to disperse the heat is recommended. Also using bake even strips will help the edges not get overdone.

The full recipe of WASC cake using 2 DH cake mixes will yield a tad over 14 cups of batter - which is perfect for multiple or larger pans.

All the above info can be found in the following thread:

P.S. Depending on which brand you use, an average box of cake mix yields between 4 to 5-1/2 cup of batter. (DH yields 5-1/2 cups.)

8" takes 5 cups
10" takes 8 cups

Quote by @%username% on %date%