Debbie Brown / Copyright Question

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 12:13pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all, I have Debbie Brown's Warner Brothers' Cartoon Cakes book, and I was curious as to whether or not there would be copyright issues involved if I made one of these cakes to sell in the future since they are all Warner Brothers' characters? Thanks!
LL

10 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 11

How did she get rights to publish the book? Is WB on her payroll now? gosh those cakes are cute! My hubby is insisting that I make a Tom & Jerry Cake for our little one. She will be 2 in May and she laughes and giggles and says, "Tm n Jarwy! Jarwy Jarwy!"

jardot22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 11

That's why I'm confused LOL. I don't know how she could publish a book with their characters when obviously they are copyrighted, but I'm not very knowledgeable about that legal stuff! I would love to make the Tom & Jerry cake too! I have a little girl that will be 3 in May, and she has recently become fascinated with them. She laughs and says "silly cat" LOL.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 11

Those cakes and *any* subject that has a copyright can be made...... they just canNOT be *sold* icon_smile.gif
So sadsmile.....go for it for you little girlicon_smile.gif

jardot22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 11

Ok thanks for the info kakeladi! That's what I thought, but wasn't quite sure.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 11

I am sure she got WB's permission to do the book and I also bet there is some sort of statement in the book that the cakes/images can not be replicated to sell with out permission and that they are for home use only.

jardot22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 11

You're probably right carolyngwen - I didn't check the book, but i bet it is on there somewhere LOL.

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 11

I have one of her other character books and there is a whole page at the front with all the copyright information for each cake. There is also a note at the top of the page which states

"The cakes in this book are copyright and may not be used for any commercial purpose without a licence from the Copyright Owner"

HTH

jardot22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 11

Awesome - thanks for your info ladies! I appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 11

I just had four days of classes with Debbie Brown a couple of weeks ago, and this subject came up.

She obtains permission (license) from each entity (be it Warner Brothers, Disney, etc) to make, sell, and publish their figures on her cakes.

jardot22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 11

Wow I'm surprised that they give permission to anyone! 4 days of classes with Debbie Brown? I'm so jealous LOL. That's awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%