Best Frosting For Cupcakes

Baking By mija10417 Updated 17 Jan 2013 , 12:15am by AllaMarie

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 8

I need a sturdy, great tasting frosting for a huge order of cupcakes I have next week. I've been trying to make Buttercream Dream but NO MATTER what I do, it keeps coming out gritty.

I was thinking of using smbc but some people find it too rich, I'm not sure how well it will hold the fondant toppers going on the cupcakes and I don't know how long they will sit out as they're going to be favors to take home.

Any suggestions on what i could use would be much appreciated!

7 replies
mija10417 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 8

anyone??

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 8

How about this cooked frosting

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, soft but cool, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)

n a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk the sugar and flour together. (Most recipes I've seen like this don't add the sugar to this mixture. By cooking the sugar with the milk, it dissolves it and prevents the grainy taste most people complain about.) Add the milk and cream and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened, about 20 minutes (It will look like VERY thick glue when it's ready) .

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high speed until cool (I let mine cool in the fridge, but just until room temp). Reduce the speed to low and add the butter; beat until thoroughly incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.

Add the vanilla and cinnamon and continue mixing until combined. If the frosting is too soft, transfer the bowl to the refrigerator to chill slightly: then beat again until it is the proper consistency. If the frosting is too firm, place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and beat with a wooden spoon until it is the proper consistency.

YUMMY icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 8

I've recently started making the whipped cream buttercream recipe on here, but it doesn't crust so I don't know if it'll help you... I also add half butter instead of using all shortening... It tastes outstanding!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

mija10417 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks! I'll give them both a try.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 8

My favorite is a lot of work. I do one batch of IMBC and one batch of my basic buttercream recipe (powdered sugar base) and I mix the two together. It cuts down on the sweet but isn't as rich as the IMBC. It's a family favorite but I don't do it very often. I'm chunky enough so it's probably good that it's double the work! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:57am
post #7 of 8

Try Sugarshack's Buttercream, very smooth, it crusts over and can stay out(non-dairy), she even has a youtube video showing you how to make it.

Recipie:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5313-1-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-Icing.html

How to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4&feature=related

AllaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllaMarie Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 12:15am
post #8 of 8

amazing frosting that I use!

Perfect Cupcake Frosting and Filling

3 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 C milk (whole milk is best, but I use non-fat when it’s all I have and it’s actually fine)
1/2 C real butter (I prefer salted, but you can use also unsalted and add salt to taste)
1/2 C sugar (that’s granulated sugar, not powdered sugar)

1 t vanilla extract, or other flavor if you wish.

Whisk together the flour and the milk. Heat in a small sauce pan on medium heat.
Whisk continuously until it starts to thicken. Let it cook, while stirring with a rubber spatula, until you can start to see the bottom of the pan.   Continue to cook until mixture has the consistency of thick pudding or paste.

Put  mixture in the fridge and let it cool completely, it’s fine if it stays in there long enough to get chilly, you just don’t want it warm at all. As it’s cooling, feel free to stir it occasionally to speed up the process and keep it from forming a crust on top.

It an electric stand mixer, beat the butter and the sugar for a minute or two until well combined and fluffy. You’ll want to use the whisk attachment on a stand mixer if you have one, instead of the flat paddle. Then while beating, add in the thickened milk mixture and the vanilla. Beat to combine and then scrape down the sides. Mixture will separate and look messy, keep beating!  Continue beating until mixture comes together and is light and fluffy, about 7-8 minutes, but time varies.  Take a sample of frosting between your fingers; frosting is done when light and fluffy and sugar granules are dissolved.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/perfect-cupcake-frosting-and-filling/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%