Can Cookies Be Frozen Once Iced?

Baking By kathy777 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 11:32am by artscallion

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 8

i have a lady that wants 100 cookies and 2 cakes. I figured if i started the cookies and then froze them all i would have to do is make the cakes.. Is that ok to do and will there be a taste difference once i defrost them i am thinking of icing them with rolled buttercream.

7 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 8

Hmm I don't really know but I wouldn't think so.... hope that someone else replies to help you....

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 8

I've done it with no problems. I froze the ones in my album that are the get well cookie bouquet with the crutch and pill bottle. I froze them already decorated with the black icing and I had no bleeding. HTH

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 8

There have been several threads about this lately. Concensus seems to be freezing is no problem. When thawing, leave in the airtight container, and let come to room temp without opening. This will help to avoid condensation. You should be able to search "freezing cookies" or somesuch, and find lots of hints.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

I just froze some for the first time and had no problem. I disagree with leaving them in a container to defrost. I think that would create condensation on the cookie. I took the cookies out of their bags and then let them defrost on a drying rack. As soon as they got to room temp., I put them bag in their individual bags. They worked out great.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 8

what about just freezing them undecorated? I have had problems defrosting with them decorated but not when they are frozen undecorated.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:55am
post #7 of 8

I have frozen both decorated and undecorated cookies. Like Ro40, I take the cookies out of the containers and place on cookie rack to defrost. Never had any problems with the icing bleeding. It would seem that both ways are acceptable.

If you are freezing the undecorated cookies, make sure you do not re-freeze them after you have decorated them because you have thawed them.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:32am
post #8 of 8

For the past 15 years, I make close to 1000 ornately decorated cookies each Christmas that are given out on gift trays ALL on Christmas day. So obviously, I need to do a lot of advance baking, decorating and freezing. This is my experience:

- If you give someone a previously frozen and thawed cookie, they will never guess that it had been frozen.
- If you give someone a previously frozen and thawed cookie, next to one that was NOT previously frozen, they WILL be able to tell the difference.

This is because the difference is so slight that it can only be noticed next to a fresh one for comparison. Plus, cookies come in so many textures and degrees of moistness/crispness that no one really knows what they were supposed to be like fresh anyway.

- to bring an undecorated cookie back to its original fresh state, after freezing and thawing, lay them out on cookie sheets and pop them back in the oven for two minutes. If it's a special recipe where taste is important and you want the cookie to be at its best, taste-wise, I recommend freezing undecorated, thawing, the quick reheating, cooling and then decorating. If it's just a basic sugar cookie cutout whose main purpose is to be the base for your fantastically creative decoration, don't bother. Just decorate and freeze.

- I freeze in large rectangular tupperware containers with the cookies layered between sheets of waxed paper. To thaw, I take the containers out and leave then sealed. I agree that this is important to prevent condensation. It's just like thawing frozen cakes. Leave them wrapped so the wrapping/container collects the condensation, not the food itself. If the cookie/cake is open and exposed, condensation will collect on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%