Imbc And Smbc Question

Decorating By AKS Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm by AKS

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 9

I have tried this only once using the Whimsical Bakehouse recipe that is on this site. The problem was that it tasted like I was biting into a stick of butter. It has kind of sworn me off these kinds of BCs which is a shame because the cake was such a dream to smooth. (I use the BC Dream recipe now and everyone loves it, but I was thinking about trying something new.) Does anyone else get this kind of taste from their IMBC or SMBC? What is the solution? Thanks in advance.

8 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not familiar with the WB recipe, but I use meringue buttercreams exclusively. Did you add a pinch of salt? Did you flavor it at all? At the VERY least it should have vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.

I LOVE meringue buttercreams... I only do American (powdered sugar) as a special request... and only if they beg, plead, and twist my arm until it's near breaking! lol

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 9

Was the frosting at room temp? Sometimes if it is cold it does taste more like butter. As pp says a touch of salt is needed. I do meringue frostings a lot-and it is definitely a favorite with my family. JMO

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

Did you use unsalted or salted butter? If you use salted butter, the recipe will come out tasting very buttery. If you use unsalted, the butter flavor won't be as strong. IMBC and SMBC do taste much more buttery than the powdered sugar-shortening frosting, but that's because they have actual butter in them and not as much sugar!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I LOVE meringue buttercreams... I only do American (powdered sugar) as a special request... and only if they beg, plead, and twist my arm until it's near breaking! lol

Ditto to that! Hey pink...are you like in heaven working at Pink Cake Box, or what???

Sorry to hear Spatula Sweets didn't work out. Or, I am happy for your new path in life...??

As for the SMBC taste...definitely unsalted butter, and the more vanilla the better, IMO. I don't find that mine is buttery at all. Just the texture when it is cold!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 9

i like to make smbc and imbc... but eveyone doesn,t like the taste.. so a good recipe of powder sugar.... butter.... hi-ratio shortening and whipping cream,etc. is good to offer.. whatever... sugarshacks recipe.. buttercream dream, etc.. i want to please whomever i am making the cakes for... so, as cake decorators.. we all need to find our favorite recipe of all this.. and have it to offer.. hth

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ditto to that! Hey pink...are you like in heaven working at Pink Cake Box, or what???

Hey... I don't work at Pink Cake Box, but I did my internship there right after I graduated from the French Culinary Institute. I absolutely LOVED it. Anne and company are great--they are so talented! I hated when it was time to leave... I'd go back and work for free for her in a heartbeat--how crazy is that?? lol

As far as Spatula is concerned, hey it's no biggie. It was the right thing to do. I'm working on a new concept that is MUCH more "me." Think of a cross between a bakery and a biker bar lol

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 9

Not crazy at all, I know what you mean!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 9

This is the recipe I used:
In a small saucepan, bring to a boil:
1/2 cup water
2 1/4 cups sugar
Use a clean pastry brush and cold water to wash down any sugar crystals that form on the sides of the pan as the water heats. When the sugar comes to a boil set a timer for 7 minutes, and let boil.
After 5 minutes, in the bowl of an electric mixer, begin to whip at high speed:
1 cup egg whites (about 12 large egg whites)
Whip until stiff. They should be done when the timer goes off.
With the mixer on high speed, slowly beat the sugar syrup into the egg whites, pouring the syrup to the side of the bowl to avoid the whip.
Continue to beat until the bowl is cool to the touch, about 10 minutes. Slowly add:
1 1/2 pounds (6 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces
When the buttercream begins to jump out of the bowl reduce the speed low.
Mix in at low speed:
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Beat until light and fluffy. At some points the mixture might look curdled. Just keep beating; it will become smooth again.
Yield: 8 cups

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%