Does Anyone Know How Long Cupcakes Last?

Baking By lv2bake Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm by amyscuppycakes

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering how long does a cupcake last or cake for that matter? In fridge, on counter? I have been making cupcakes for awhile and they have been eaten within 2 days, but my orders are getting bigger, so I was wondering if anyone knows just how long a cupcake lasts? I don't want anyone sick..KWIM? I have had customers ask me and I am not sure what to tell them.

3 days, 5 days, 6 days?

Thinking of opening a business in baking so this info would be most helpful.

Thank you.

4 replies
lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 5

BUMP!

Please.......Does anyone know???

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 5

I really don't know as they get eaten pretty quickly. I probably wouldn't eat one past the three day mark. Maybe one of the bakery pros can say how many days they would keep a cupcake before tossing it. I would think that EVERYTHING in a bakery can't have been made THAT day.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 5

For my shop I bake 14 dozen different flavored cupcakes every Monday and we rebake on Thursday. I have a refrigerated case which, I think, makes the cupcakes go stale faster. I could probably get away with a 4th day but I like things to be as fresh as possible. For orders I always bake the day of so I really think 3-4 days is maximum for best freshness. Now, if my cupcakes were on the counter I would definitely keep them in a box or at least covered so that the air doesn't dry them out either.

Hope that helps...

Tammi

amyscuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyscuppycakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 5

I read on a website that un-frosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months and 1 day at room temp in an air tight container.

The second one doesn't make a lot of sense to me because I would expect them to last longer. I usually push for mine to be eaten within 3 days, occasionally 4 depending on the frosting I've used.

Don't always store them in the fridge if your using buttercream because I've heard this can make the buttercream go hard so would maybe lose the freshness and make you cut out a day.

I hope I helped a little. Good luck

Amy x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%