Bride Cancels Wedding

Business By cupcake Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 5:38am by mkolmar

cupcake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:50am
post #1 of 18

Had a bride call today, Thursday , and cancelled her wedding for Saturday. She wanted her money back. They decided to elope, because the mother-in- law completely took over the planning of the wedding. This was only for 100 people, but everything was already done. The couple was unhappy and decided to stick it too her, I guess. Anyway, had to tell her sorry, but your contract cancellation is 3 weeks, not 3 days. I hate that I spent the little extras for her cake, but that just increased my inventory for stuff I did not have. Can you imagine the tention in that family right now?

17 replies
miss_sweetstory Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:14am
post #2 of 18

Good for you for sticking with the terms of your contract!

Too bad that they also stuck it to the 100 people that made plans to come to the wedding (didn't make other plans, bought new outfits?, purchased gifts). I'm only mentioning this because they are still getting married...if they were canceling because they had decided not to get married at all I would feel differently.

beck30 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 18

Thats a silly reason to not have a wedding! I wish my MIL would have helped with mine (or at least someone). Im glad you stuck to your guns and that you had a contrct.

SUELA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 18

Uh, shouldn't the planning have been done by now.?? They only realized two days before the wedding she was taking over and they didn't like it???

Bonus for extras!

Oh and don't forget travel arrangements, plane/train/ auto/ hotel...

We are getting in married in Mexico, even if we did cancel, for some odd reason....everyone still gets a vacation.

maggiev777 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 18

Yikes, those poor families. Impossible to know who is really at fault - maybe the bride is a bridezilla, or maybe the MIL is a MILzilla! At any rate I'm sure everyone is probably very disappointed with how things have turned out. Sad situation for all involved (including guests).

lapazlady Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 18

You held up your part of the bargain, you get paid!

Naturepixie Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 18

Is the cake paid in full or just a down payment? If it's just a down payment. I would still make the top tier to give them to take with them to eat after there ceremony... Just a thought!!! icon_lol.gif

jovigirl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 18

Can you imagine once they have kids icon_surprised.gif

giggysmack Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 18

Wow! That's one of the reasons why there are contracts and why things are paid in advance. It's there to protect the bride as well as the baker. Unfortunately this is probably not going to make for a very pleasent first few years for them.
I know that many weeks I have to refuse orders because I can only do so much and for someone to cancel when I've already had to turn away two other brides for that day. That's why we have contracts.

summernoelle Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 18

I would think wow, that's one manipulative Bride! I actually feel sorry for the MIL in this one. So you don't like her bulldozing you with the wedding plans? It's only two more days. Suck it up.
I'm just glad you got paid. Don't be surprised if she contacts you and has changed her mind once she realizes the other vendors aren't refunding, either.

cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Don't be surprised if she contacts you and has changed her mind once she realizes the other vendors aren't refunding, either.

It's crazy to think! But I can totally see it happening!

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I would think wow, that's one manipulative Bride! I actually feel sorry for the MIL in this one. So you don't like her bulldozing you with the wedding plans? It's only two more days. Suck it up.

yeah, i'd love to hear the whole story on this one. is MIL a real she-bear or is bride the type that just WON'T make a decision? Did the bride or did the MIL want a wedding far exceeding the budget .... one is making the decisions and one is footing the bill and the two minds just wouldnt' meet in the middle anywhere? Enquiring minds want to know!

Although ...... my MIL tried something along those lines with my wedding. She called my now-hubby and complained because his sister wasn't a bridesmaid (note: NONE of my sisters were bridesmaids either and I have 4 sisters!). Hubby calls me and says "what do we do?" I said, "Nothing. First, we're paying for this wedding, not her, and that means she gets to make NO decisions. Second, I really like your mom. And if I give in to her now, I'm giving in to her for the rest of my life. And that's not going to happen."

I set my standards and my barriers right from the git-go. And for the next 20+ years, me and my MIL are still great friends! I luv my MIL!!!! icon_smile.gif

KookieKris Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 18

Good for you for sticking to your guns!
I probably would have felt bad and had a hard time still asking for my money, but I'm learning! (With the help of certain CC members of course!)

sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturepixie

Is the cake paid in full or just a down payment? If it's just a down payment. I would still make the top tier to give them to take with them to eat after there ceremony... Just a thought!!! icon_lol.gif

I was just thinking along the same lines. Would it be really out of the ordinary to allow the bride to reschedule and make her a cake when they come back?

I surely hope she doesn't call back and say the wedding is back on and expect you to be able to bake it all and get it done on the last minute!

acookieobsession Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 18

I think that no matter what the problem they have between the mil and bride...this elope and cause a hoopla is going to set the stage for a very rocky start to a marriage. People think marriage is just about the couple, but is about families merging too. Not to mention it is difficult to get used to living as a married person, add in in law problems and watch out.

Sometimes I just wish people would THINK about the consequences of what they do and how those consequences extend beyond their tiny little bubble of a world.

Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 18

Looking in from the outside it looked like my MIL was a MIL-zilla.

She bought my wedding dress with out me. (It was green velvet and a Christmas wedding). She knew it would be perfect and it was the last one.

She went out and bought all of our reception stuff (plates, cups, utensils etc) with out me.

She went and reserved the community center room where we got married/had the reception with out me.

The list goes on.

I saw it as a slap in the face, my mom and sister joked about her wanting to be the one getting married.

It was just this last year when the truth came to the surface and she admitted over stepping. She thought she was helping by paying for everything and since she was buying it she wanted what she thought best. To her paper plate and plastic cup colors were trivial. To me it wasn't.

Thankfully my friend donated the cake and gooms cake for portfolio experience.

So when I hear of MIL rage for over stepping I can understand it. I now can also say "maybe they just don't realize it and think they are helping".

It's been 6 years and the funny thing is I can remember crying to my husband about paper plates at one point in the planning but I don't remember what color(s) they were or what they even looked like at our reception.

juleebug Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #17 of 18

CarolynGwen -- Your signature line is KILLING me! Too funny!

On Topic- My MIL wouldn't have anything to do with our wedding. She hates my guts. She even tried to convince my husband that I was cheating on him 2 weeks before the wedding. She didn't even attend.

mkolmar Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:38am
post #18 of 18

This bride and groom may have been at their wits end but they have some growing up to do. They just damaged their future relationship as a couple with her MIL. I was in the same boat at my wedding with my mom. I had a momzilla. I hated my wedding. Don't get me wrong it was beautiful, a little princess wedding that my mom always wanted. Too bad, I'm no princess, I'm a tom boy who would rather role in the mud. My simple wedding ended up having around 300 people, some of which neither my DH or I knew. A huge tent was brought in with a dance floor and DJ. I was married under white greek pillars with ivy flowing down it....oh, and how can I forget the Marine Corps swords. I almost eloped 3 days before my wedding. DH and I were going down the road in his car when we turned around. It just wasn't worth it. My mom would have been crushed and it would have damaged our and my DH's future relationship. Never mind how the people who took off work to drive in or bought air line tickets would feel.

Good job on sticking to your guns! A contract is a contract!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%