Explain Fondant??

Decorating By NZ_girl Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm by tiggy2

NZ_girl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:40am
post #1 of 5

Hiya, new to cakes!!

I am making a two-tier cake (square); fortunately I am able to do the whole tier thingy. Butc I am really confused with all this butter cream, fondant talk!!

I tried using an already made fondant, which I coloured easily enough, but come time to roll it out it had what appeared to be bubbles?? Did I knead it too much or roll it too much??

So I used apricot jam (watered down with hot water) so the fondant would stick to the cake, which gladly went well. But the fondant ripped when I went to cover the cake. Any ideas why? Or suggestions? It was quite a thick fondant and stretchy but hard to get to cover the cake, and the corners of the square werenft that great lookingc

4 replies
shelly-101 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:03am
post #2 of 5

for my fondant cakes i put a crumbcoat with buttercream and make sure that it is very smooth because your fondant will show any imperfections. i usually roll it about 1/4 of an inch thick and some times you can get air bubbles in the fondant you just have to take a needle and pop them. putting fondant on square cakes is a little tricky you have to smooth one corner at a time get one smooth and than move on the the next corner and so on. Hope this helps

Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 5

I am too is struggling with fondant. As you can see in my first cake, I could not cover a cake without holes.

People suggested to me to knead the fondant well before rolling it in and make sure you work fast so it doesn't dry up. Also, the tears could be the product of the weight of the fondant on the sides.

What are you confused about buttercream? Did you cover the cake with buttercream?

sayhellojana Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:17am
post #4 of 5

What type of fondant was it? Likely Wilton. You get air bubbles from kneeding too much air into it, and they show when you roll it out. Air bubbles trapped under the fondant once placed on the cake is a whole 'nuther story. When you kneed, don't separate it and smash together, you want to smoosh and rotate. Hope that makes sense.

Welcome to Cake Central, aka you're new addiction (to quote bobwonderbuns)

tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 5

sugarshacks video "flawless fondant" shows step by step how to cover cakes with fondant. Her videos are the best I've seen and very inexpensive. They can be found at www.sugaredproductions.com I have all of them and wouldn't trade them for anything. They really are the best money I have ever spent on cake decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%