Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #241 of 425

Ohhh Fiddlesticks they loook perfect! Let me tell ya I like them right out of the fridge too better than room temp!
Theresa, I was wondering last night if you could pipie some RI on there too decorate! I just bet it would work and would be so cute!Put a scallop around the edge and pipe a pair of booties!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #242 of 425

I've put crushed cookies, etc. along the white filling border and that adds both texture and a gourmet touch.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #243 of 425

Thanks you guys!
mellee, No never been to Maine,would like to though !
Hey Theresa , unless you had to have the choc ones maybe you can do the vanilla but color the batter in pink/blue?
Or maybe the filling in color?
I almost added some mini choc chips to part of my filling to see if anyone liked it.. Oh so many possibilities!
I'm sending all but a few to work with hubby tomorrow, I cant have these hanging around the house!
I made mine 4x4 except for a few I made 3x3!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #244 of 425

Fiddle, that's perfect! The theme colors are pink, brown and white. And I just happen to have bags of pink (raspberry), vanilla, and chocolate nutella SMBC in the freezer, waiting for a reason to use them. And sprinkles around the sides!

Vanilla, chocolate and pink velvet whoopie pies, different flavors of fillings, sprinkles. Oh, I have no sprinkles. Road trip to the supply store!

Wish I had enough time, I'd build a small like the one Martha has on her website and have a whoopie pie bar!

Maybe I could top each one off with a molded chocolate, before I wrap them.

Way cool. Now let's see if I chicken out between now and then, and do a regular cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #245 of 425

Oh dont chicken out that sounds awesome!
And pretty with the added sprinkles to!
Or you could do a smaller cake ( if you have to ) and make these to but not so big! How festive !!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #246 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

hey guys, have you tried this recipe for the filling?

1/2 c margarine or butter (room temp is best)
1/2 c Crisco (my mother is insistent that this MUST be Crisco and CANNOT be generic shortening, nor substituted in any way . . . but if you do get it to work with a substitution, please let me know!)
1 c sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c warm whole milk (20 seconds in the microwave should do it)

Beat with a mixer (stand or hand, your choice) for-freakin-ever. It will start out just like, well, lumps of Crisco floating in milk, then bits will get smaller and smaller, then itll slosh around for a little bit, and, much like the butter making process, youll be wondering if this will ever become anything or if you maybe messed it up somehow. Suddenly, about five minutes later, your mix will look weird for a second, and within moments your slushy mess will turn into a glorious white creme, smooth and perfect in a way rarely seen outside the confines of uber-processed food with chemicals you cant pronounce that are not even available to the consumer in their pure form.

from omnomicon.com

I've totally veganized that recipe (or one exactly like it) with no trouble. I don't use Crisco (hydrogenated oils). My shortening works fine. I've not tried it on a super humid day though... icon_confused.gif

Did it keep without refrigeration? I would need it to keep for maybe three days or so. Thanks K2Cakes!

kellertur Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #247 of 425

I'm actually not sure, but if your Mom said her recipe was fine left out, than mine should be... I used all shortening though, no "butter". My method was a bit different though - I don't think I used "warm" soymilk though, just room temp.
I haven't made that recipe in a while, because it takes me a long time.
My reg. filling recipe takes 5 minutes and is fine out for days if covered.

Hope that helps a little...

fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #248 of 425

K2cakes.. How do you package yours?
Does the cake part stick to the packaging ?

kellertur Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #249 of 425

Fiddlesticks~ I use plastic wrap right now. Yes, they are sticky... my customers LOVE that, eventhough I hate it... I was told:
"The stickier/messier the better!!" (ooey/gooey filing spilling out)
That 's what sells... they WANT the pie sticking to the wrapper for some reason... so they can lick it off the wrapper... (the savages) icon_lol.gif

Linliv46 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:05pm
post #250 of 425

K2cakes, that is sooo funny! I just thought mine were extremely sticky! LOL Everytime I moved them more stuck to my fingers! I think the saran wrap is the best to wrap them in. I still like them better right out of the fridge. I really do need to get rid of them today! icon_rolleyes.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #251 of 425

K2cakes... Thanks and yes I have to say I agree" Love the sticky" And the more filling the better,Yum!
I just wondered if you had to have a fancier packaging since they are in a store.
Linda have you tasted any that you froze yet ?
With the size I made I only got 16 out of my batch. So no left overs here! And almost all of those went to work with hubby!

Linliv46 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:55pm
post #252 of 425

Fiddlesticks, Yes they freeze real good! I froze one & ate it yesterday morn. !! Sooo, I froze a bunch of them but left some out and I really don't need to be snacking on them! I might take them too a friend this afternoon!

fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #253 of 425

Thanks, I wondered how they tasted after being frozen. Did it freeze solid ? or just enough you can still eat it right out of the freezer with out letting it sit out ?
Yes these can be dangerous to have around( if you love them as I do ) !

Linliv46 Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #254 of 425

It was like frozen solid but I let it set til it thawed! Was just like it was fresh made! Now I am going to tell ya what I have been doing---I have a vanilla one in the fridge I have been slicing off of! I don't need the P-O-U-N-D-S!!!!!!
K2cakes, what size do you make? Mine are prob about 3 inch and too me that is plenty big! I know you do vegan but do you make a strawberry one?

fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #255 of 425

Hey Linda I have been doing the same thing !
The ones I sent to work with hubby were 4x4 but the few I kept home were 3x3 and I have been slicing off a piece here and there.
I didn't put them in the fridge though ! I bet the choc ones would be good with a banana filling !

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #256 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Thanks, I wondered how they tasted after being frozen. Did it freeze solid ? or just enough you can still eat it right out of the freezer with out letting it sit out ?

OK, this post just totally cracked me up!! icon_biggrin.gif All I could picture was Fiddlesticks running to the freezer and pulling out a frozen whoopie pie and gnawing it to death! Bwahahahahahaha!

fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #257 of 425

mellee.. LOL!! No Im not that bad (yet) I just wondered if they were like fudge(fudge doesent freeze solid) Or if they would have to be thawed and if so if the cake part was then tooo sticky/gooey!
But hey runnning back and forth to the freezer would help work off calories hehe!
mellee, have you made them yet ???

kellertur Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #258 of 425
Quote:

Whoopie pies freeze FANTASTIC! Let them thaw in the wrapper and they will be even more moist.

fiddlesticks~ when I say "sticky" I don't mean fudgy... sorry about that. Mine don't get gummy or soggy. I only use plastic wrap because it's for a health food store. I only use a few ingredients (mostly organic) and no preservatives beyond sugar, so that sets me apart from the major brands.

Linliv46 ~ My minis are just about 2 - 3 inches. My large ones are ENORMOUS and everyone kept asking for tiny ones, which is fine because whoopie pie recipes use tons of flour. I've never made Strawbery Whoopie pies.

in a word~ "Neapolitan"...
(bottom layer chcolate, middle filling strawberry, top layer vanilla)
... what do you all think?

Linliv46 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #259 of 425

Ohh, Neopolitan sounds great too me but I just want to try the strawberry first! I did carry some to friends tonite. He has been on a trip and brought me back 3 "good" bottles of vanilla! I think the 2-3 inch sounds good.
Oh I read on another recipe for the pies that they used freeze dried strawberries for the flavor in the filling so the creme wouldn't be runny, but I had a hard time finding those a few months ago!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #260 of 425

Oh Neopolitan sounds awesome !
Well I got the word from Hubby that his crew loved them. But I knew they wood they love everything I send them!
How fun is this !!!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #261 of 425
Quote:

mellee.. LOL!! No Im not that bad (yet) I just wondered if they were like fudge(fudge doesent freeze solid) Or if they would have to be thawed and if so if the cake part was then tooo sticky/gooey!
But hey runnning back and forth to the freezer would help work off calories hehe!
mellee, have you made them yet ???

A likely story, fiddlesticks. icon_biggrin.gif We all believe you. Honest. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, being a Mainer, I have made them many, many times. They are a staple in every store on every corner here. You can get them in restaurants, delis, and even little stands on the side of the road. How's THAT for whoopie heaven??!icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #262 of 425

mellee... Oh your so lucky!!!
How much do they sell them for ?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #263 of 425

Well finally I was able to track this thread down again! Whew!

You guys Whoopie Pies look absolutely to die for!

Diane Fiddlesticks are your chocolate ones the Wicked Whoppie Pies recipe?
That recipe sounds very good!

Linliv, your vanilla Whoopies look great!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #264 of 425

Hey Lea ! LOL! I was just about to send the recipe to you and had a notice here !
Yes its the wicked one ! You didnt need to hunt for this thread I would of sent you the link!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #265 of 425

Let me warn you they are very dangerous!!!

Teekakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #266 of 425

Thanks Diane!! Ok, so the Wicked one it is! Dangerous is good with me!! LOL............ icon_lol.gif

Linliv46 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #267 of 425

Thanks Lea, They are so much fun! I have the biggest cookie order ever for Mon so I won't get to do any pies over the next few days anyway! I hope everybody will try more flavors!

Teekakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #268 of 425

My family are huge fans of strawberry cake too so I think I will make the strawberry whoopies soon too. The recipe for them sounds very, very good. When I get my first Whoopies made I will post a pic here.

Linda, good luck on that huge cookie order you have on Monday!

Teekakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:20am
post #269 of 425

My daughter and I made the Wicked Chocolate Whoopie Pies and the Strawberry Whoopie Pies tonight. The chocolate ones are wonderfully delicious but we all loved the strawberry ones the most. The Strawberry cookie and filling and both absolutely divine! We have extra strawberry filling left over so tomorrow I am going to fill some chocolate shells with it. No way will they be anything but delectable!
Here are our Whoopie pie pics;
LL
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #270 of 425

Oh they turned out wonderful!! Your calling the strawberry ones a cookie? Just cause thats what you called them or is it more cookie like then cake like?
I had a feeling you would try the whoopies this weekend!
I think I can live on the whoopie diet!
I want a good lemon recipe !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%