Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #211 of 425

I'm planning to try this to sell it. how long will they last if individually packed? and have you guys tried using crusting buttercream? i need a filling that won't refrigeration.

am seriously... drooling thinking about it. i gotta stop myself...

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #212 of 425

So many different recipes to choose from! Which one are you guys trying for the first time? The strawberry ones sound good on the Oprah website!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #213 of 425

I think I am going to try the regular choc one on the Oprah site tomm. I am trying to decide if my regular cookie scoop will make them big enough!
GrandmaG, thanks for the nice comment!

GrandmaG Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #214 of 425

I think that's a good place to start Linda! And go from there if it's not quite what you want.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #215 of 425

Linda, I think you can make them any size you want to !
If thats the size scoop you have go for it and then if your not happy get a different scoop! At least its a start!
K2cakes.. thanks for the nice words !
I used my clay gun!
Happy Holiday everyone!

Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:52pm
post #216 of 425

Well I couldn't wait until tomm to make these! Great recipe! This is the choc version on Oprah.com. They are really good and the recipe makes about 20 and I measured a heaping 1/8 cup measure. Could have been a little "neater" with my filling but these are just for family!
Thanks K2Cakes for sending the link to the recipe!
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #217 of 425

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Did you send me some? Nobody sends me any.icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cookinmama87410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmama87410 Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #218 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

Whoopie Pies are one of my biggest sellers for the Walk-In traffic. I make chocolate w/ buttercream or peanut buttercream filling and pumpkin with spice filling. I've done some vanilla w/ chocolate filling too but that's just too many for me to do by myself!

It's like a thickened cake batter that you scoop out onto a lined pan and bake. Flip it over and add filling to the flat side, throw another one on top to form a sandwich and there's your whoopie pie! People love them...

Tammi

How do you thicken the cake batter? Is it a different recipe or do you add to it? Let us know.

Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #219 of 425

Wow! I could have sent everybody a sample! The recipe didn't say how many it made and we had our cook-out today soo I had the kids all here & they had to take some home! I am going to put a couple in the freezer to just see how they do tonite!

playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #220 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinmama87410

Tammi

How do you thicken the cake batter? Is it a different recipe or do you add to it? Let us know.[/quote]

There are several recipes and recipe links in the previous pages of this thread.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:26am
post #221 of 425

I have been looking online for recipes and my head is buzzing.

have you guys tried melting marshmallows with a little bit of water in the microwave and using that as a filling? sounds like the beginnings of MMF, but i just might go that route. i just re-read this thread and there's something about it that makes me all... hungry and stuff.

hehe

ETA

Have you guys noticed any difference between using butter and shortening? they say shortening makes it rise higher?

Linliv46 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #222 of 425

I am searching also, but I am looking for a vanilla whoopie pie recipe! The choc is great but I would love to find a vanilla to use diff flavors for the filling! Personally, I like the "fluffy filling"!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #223 of 425

I am in WI, I haven't heard of these before, but I live 30 mi from nowhere icon_wink.gif I love trying new things, I think I'll make some with the kids tomorrow, they love to help but all too often get kicked out of the kitchen when I am cakeing! do you use regular cake batter and then scoop it out onto baking sheets? I think i might try a cookie one first. Sounds like fun!

fiddlesticks Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #224 of 425

Linda they look delicious!

Linliv46 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #225 of 425

Thank-you! I have some vanilla whoopies in the making! Will post them when I get them filled! Looks like another good recipe!

GrandmaG Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #226 of 425

Great Linda! Can you post the recipe?

playingwithsugar Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #227 of 425

Linda - what are you filling them with?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Linliv46 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #228 of 425

I am filling these with just vanilla cream as per the recipe but next time I am going to be adventurous and try a flavor! I am going to fill now and will post a pic. The cookie turned out really good!

Linliv46 Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #229 of 425

Ok this is another "keeper"! Here is the recipe and the only thing I did was I added 3 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff to the filling after it whipped---http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1613,147162-240193,00.html
Here is what they look like!
Just have too add there is plenty of filling for both these recipes!! The vanilla ones are a little smaller and made 24!
LL

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #230 of 425

How much filling are you using? Is it a measured amount to get it to look so full?

Linliv46 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #231 of 425

I put a good heaping tablespoon on each one and its prob a half inch thick and still had plenty of cream!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:10am
post #232 of 425

hey guys, have you tried this recipe for the filling?

1/2 c margarine or butter (room temp is best)
1/2 c Crisco (my mother is insistent that this MUST be Crisco and CANNOT be generic shortening, nor substituted in any way . . . but if you do get it to work with a substitution, please let me know!)
1 c sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c warm whole milk (20 seconds in the microwave should do it)

Beat with a mixer (stand or hand, your choice) for-freakin-ever. It will start out just like, well, lumps of Crisco floating in milk, then bits will get smaller and smaller, then itll slosh around for a little bit, and, much like the butter making process, youll be wondering if this will ever become anything or if you maybe messed it up somehow. Suddenly, about five minutes later, your mix will look weird for a second, and within moments your slushy mess will turn into a glorious white creme, smooth and perfect in a way rarely seen outside the confines of uber-processed food with chemicals you cant pronounce that are not even available to the consumer in their pure form.

from omnomicon.com

fiddlesticks Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:48am
post #233 of 425

Hey Linda ! So how did the vanilla ones taste ?

Linliv46 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #234 of 425

They are every bit as good as the choc. but I love vanilla too! The kids were here and they all took some home but I still have to put some in the freezer today! I did try cutting the choc recipe in half & it worked good. The whole recipe makes a lot of pies. I ended up using my cookie scoop heaping for just the right size (that made exactly 2 doz.) . I think in a few days I might try the strawberry! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #235 of 425

Thanks ! I love vanilla to!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #236 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

hey guys, have you tried this recipe for the filling?

1/2 c margarine or butter (room temp is best)
1/2 c Crisco (my mother is insistent that this MUST be Crisco and CANNOT be generic shortening, nor substituted in any way . . . but if you do get it to work with a substitution, please let me know!)
1 c sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c warm whole milk (20 seconds in the microwave should do it)

Beat with a mixer (stand or hand, your choice) for-freakin-ever. It will start out just like, well, lumps of Crisco floating in milk, then bits will get smaller and smaller, then itll slosh around for a little bit, and, much like the butter making process, youll be wondering if this will ever become anything or if you maybe messed it up somehow. Suddenly, about five minutes later, your mix will look weird for a second, and within moments your slushy mess will turn into a glorious white creme, smooth and perfect in a way rarely seen outside the confines of uber-processed food with chemicals you cant pronounce that are not even available to the consumer in their pure form.

from omnomicon.com

I've totally veganized that recipe (or one exactly like it) with no trouble. I don't use Crisco (hydrogenated oils). My shortening works fine. I've not tried it on a super humid day though... icon_confused.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #237 of 425

Ok, I made my first batch of these today ! Yes they are addictive just like I thought ! Dang it!
LL
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #238 of 425

Oh Sorry Not sure why the photo posted 2x!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #239 of 425

Oh, Fiddle, they look great!

While we're on the subject -

How about some ideas on how to decorate and display them for a baby shower? I am doing a last-minute project for a relative, and I was thinking about going fast and simple, but unique. These would be perfect for it.

Thanks to all. This thread is great. And so are all of you -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #240 of 425

Fiddlesticks! OUTSTANDING!! You sure you're not from Maine??? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%