Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:26am
post #91 of 425

Mcdonald, whenever I buy or make a whoopie pie here in Maine, they are ALWAYS individually wrapped in plastic wrap....for many reasons. Often the cake part is VERY moist and gooey, and if it isn't wrapped it will stick to whatever surface it touches. Also it keeps the filling contained. And who knows? I guess it keeps the whole blessed thing together too, LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #92 of 425

ya'll making me want to bake some!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #93 of 425

Well, Lil, don't talk about it - get busy, let us know when they're done. You will need a focus group to test the product. Those of us who are near will stop by, while the rest of us will PM our addresses so you can send out samples. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #94 of 425

I know that this question is asked over and over again with icing, but I have always steered clear of icing with milk in it...I have made the Wicked Whoopie Recipe posted earlier in the thread, but wondered if they are shelf stable due to the milk in the filling.

Also, for those of you who sell them, what is their shelf life?

mellee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #95 of 425

Southerncake, I make cooked milk icings all the time. The cooking, solids, sugar, etc., really help to stabilize the milk. I've left mine on the counter for several days with no ill effects except maybe just a lost of flavor after a number of days. I wouldn't leave it for months, but no one would leave anything for months. Wrapped up, these whoopie pies have a good shelf life--but they never make it that long anyways because they're always snatched up and eaten! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #96 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I have been seeing them pop up everywhere! Has anyone else noticed? Will you be jumping aboard to keep up with this newest trend?

icon_surprised.gif Gah! No! I don't even do cupcakes, and NOT because I don't think they are pretty, I don't have the patience, the room, or the oven capacity to get them done in a timely manner.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #97 of 425

Geeeeez....and since when has an elegant affair such as a wedding turned into a venue for eating snack pies?? What happened to a pretty plate and a shiny teeny little fork? No offense, but seriously....I know there are all kinds of weddings but that makes me shake my head.

southerncake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #98 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

Southerncake, I make cooked milk icings all the time. The cooking, solids, sugar, etc., really help to stabilize the milk. I've left mine on the counter for several days with no ill effects except maybe just a lost of flavor after a number of days. I wouldn't leave it for months, but no one would leave anything for months. Wrapped up, these whoopie pies have a good shelf life--but they never make it that long anyways because they're always snatched up and eaten! icon_smile.gif

Thank you mellee. The Wicked Whoopie filling recipe doesn't get cooked though, just mixed together, but there's only 4 TBS milk in the whole recipe, so I think it is okay...I hope icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #99 of 425

Paula Deene's recipe is called Chocolate Gobs (or something like that). They were okay, but the filling was a little too greasy and slick for me.

mellee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:15pm
post #100 of 425

Yeah, don't sweat it AT ALL southerncake. There's so darn much sugar in there, even the GERMS die. OK, they die and go to heaven, but they still die! tee hee icon_biggrin.gif

I make uncooked buttercreams with milk in them all the time and leave them for a LONG time on the counter. No one has croaked yet, but I'm working on it. Bwahahaha! Honestly though, go for it and don't worry about it!

lilthorner Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #101 of 425

didn't make them yesterday, but I did today.. I have no idea what they are supposed to taste like! I used a recipe off allrecipes.com and I used the cooked flour/milk icing that was suggested on epicurious.. i ate one of the tops because they were odd numbered LOL.. I havent eaten a complete one yet.. my 6 yo says they are dlish!
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #102 of 425

Dang lilthorner....that looks really yummy!

mellee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #103 of 425

Go on Lilthorner! You are an evil tease! icon_biggrin.gif

lilthorner Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:07am
post #104 of 425

thanks! i couldn't help myself so I ate one.. that was fluffy goodness on the inside.. the outside was good too,although i would imagine that it should taste richer..I know the ones from epicurious would be more chocolaty becasue of the buttermilk (and the dutch process cocoa). hmmmmm

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #105 of 425

Lil! That looks perfect!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

southerncake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #106 of 425

Does anyone have a recipe for a strawberry whoopie pie???

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:44pm
post #107 of 425

Oh good call Southerncake! I found this one on-line. I want to try these too!
http://www.oprah.com/recipe/omagazine/recipes/200902_omag_recipe_whoopie_pies

mellee Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #108 of 425

Southerncake, I guess you could start with a basic non-chocolate whoopie pie recipe and tweak it. Maybe something like this, but feel free to change and rearrange:

3 cups flour
1 cup of buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
couple tbs of strawberry flavor

I haven't used LorAnn (I think it's called?) oils, but I hear they're great. There's some gourmet flavor thread going on somewhere on the forum. They might have good strawberry ideas. Come to think of it, there was a strawberry cake thread going on not long ago that would have some really good ideas. Maybe you could do a search for it. And maybe you could use the flavor in the filling too and maybe even fold in some real strawberry pieces. Then too there's always plain old Nestle Strawberry Quick and Hershey's Strawberry syrups out there! Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

mellee Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #109 of 425

oooooh GrandmaG, that looks decadent!! icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #110 of 425

You could also use the cake mix version using a strawberry cake mix!

GrandmaG Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #111 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

i have a recipe for chocolate whoopie pies posted to the recipe section:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7005-2-Chocolate-Whoopie-Pies-Cakesters.html

enjoy!

I haven't tried making the cake part of your recipe but I made the filling and sandwiched it between cookies. It rocks!

How are you losing all that weight making Whoppie Pies? icon_lol.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #112 of 425

Okay...since this thread started I decided to track the sale of our " pudgy pies" , oh and I should add that we have raised the prices to $4, and they still sell out every day.

Oatmeal Cream Pudgy - average 3.5 dozen per day
Fudgy Pudgy- average 3 dozen per day

And then we rotate in Banana-Nutella, Red Velvet, Pumpkin, Lemon, and Fudgy pudgy peanut, and they all sell well, too.

For me the beauty is that I can assign them to a student, so they have little or no extra labor cost ( since I have the girls assemble them when the counter is slow and I am paying them anyway) and the sales are 2 to 3 hundred dollars per day.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #113 of 425

Banana-Nutella icon_surprised.gif

Ok, just thinking about that makes me Pudgy icon_lol.gif

mellee Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #114 of 425

Wow Snarkybaker, that's pretty awesome! I assume your pudgy pies are whoopie pies incognito? How big around are your pudgy pies?? Here in Maine, whoopie pies are pretty darn big. And I guess you have a retail store too?

I finally got a chance to check out the box of the Oreo Cakesters in the supermarket as some people have mentioned them on this thread. The box was TINY and it said it contained TWELVE of them!! I don't think we could fit more than 2 or 3 Maine whoopie pies in that box!

By the way, I love the name fudgy pudgy peanut, tee hee! icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #115 of 425

snarkybaker..Those sound amazing!
I wish you would post some pictures!

lucettaslegacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucettaslegacy Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #116 of 425

I have a Whoopie Pie as one of my Gourmet Cake Flavors. Make a traditional moist devils food, torte, add the filling and you've got a Torted version of a whoopie pie! Brides love it!!!!

snarkybaker Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #117 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

Wow Snarkybaker, that's pretty awesome! I assume your pudgy pies are whoopie pies incognito? How big around are your pudgy pies?? Here in Maine, whoopie pies are pretty darn big. And I guess you have a retail store too?

I finally got a chance to check out the box of the Oreo Cakesters in the supermarket as some people have mentioned them on this thread. The box was TINY and it said it contained TWELVE of them!! I don't think we could fit more than 2 or 3 Maine whoopie pies in that box!

By the way, I love the name fudgy pudgy peanut, tee hee! icon_smile.gif

Our pies are about 41/2 inches across and 1 inch thick by the time all is said and done. They are less cakey and more chewy than the traditional moon pie, the fudgies are based on a brownie recipe,rather than cake. The filling is the secret. Most of the fillings are either too sweet or too soft.

snarkybaker Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #118 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

snarkybaker..Those sound amazing!
I wish you would post some pictures!

We're making some this afternoon...

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #119 of 425

lucettaslegacy, what filling recipe are you adding to your cake for that?
Snarky, I hope you snap a few shots of them !

mellee Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:28am
post #120 of 425

That's a decent size, snarky. I agree with you about the filling being TOO darn sweet in many of the recipes! It's like sinking your teeth into a bag of sugar ONLY. My tastebuds get so overwhelmed that I can't even taste the flavor of the cake. Of course, I realize many people like the filling super sweet. However, yours are selling like hotcakes, so I would say there are a lot of people out there who maybe want LESS sweet sweets, like me.

Please post a picture, and do tell us more about why your cakes are "chewy." It sounds quite interesting, and I'm always looking for a new whoopie pie filling and cake recipe. Oh, by the way, where are you located? The reason I ask is because you are getting a GOOD price for your whoopie pies, and I don't think ANY whoopie pie, no matter how good (and I'll bet yours are great!), would sell for that price here in Maine. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%