Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #361 of 425

Thanks everybody! icon_smile.gif We love these Whoopies!!

Linda, for my first batch of Oatmeal Whoopies I used a melon baller scoop for the cookie dough. Each cookie consisted of 3 scoops, one stacked on top of the other. After I put the 3rd scoop on I pressed down slightly, only to ensure they would spread out "round". I did not flatten the stack of scoops out at all, but kept them really tall.
I am sure this is the reason mine stayed a bit thicker than an average Oatmeal cookie, yet baked up nice and round.
For this second batch of Oatmeal Whoopies I used the same recipe as the first, "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies" found on the lid of a box of Quaker Oatmeal, BUT, to get them actually cakey like you see them in my last photo, I added 1 extra egg and 1/2 extra cup of flour and used 2 scoops stacked one on top of the other instead of 3. It made them like a cakey whoopie. icon_smile.gif

Melissa, the recipes or links to them are all posted in this thread. Sorry these are such a diet killer for ya! icon_sad.gif I gave up that "D" word and now just try to "maintain"! icon_lol.gif I feel for ya though!

Mellee, come on over lady!! God only knows someone needs to be eating all these besides me and my small little family! They are in the freezer but the problem is we like to eat them right out of the freezer!! Kind of like eating an ice cream sandwich! icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Lily icon_smile.gif I know what you mean about not having much time for CC these days. This is the only thread I've been keeping up with too as it is truly something fun, unique, and cakey!
For the plastic wrap I am the wide plastic wrap too. I just pull out about 6" of wrap, tear it off and wrap a single Whoopie up in it. Then I stack them into a plastic container w/locking lid and freeze them. I freeze the bottom layer of whoopies for a couple of hours before stacking the next layer on them so they don't get squished. Here is a picture of yesterdays Whoopies frozen today.
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #362 of 425

Hey Lea ! Those look like they are all ready to be shipped to my house !! If you keep them frozen and over night them they should be perfect for eating when they get here.LOL!! Just tryin to save myself some work!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #363 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

The flickr pic is called tower /pies!

that's not mine...just showing some examples for ideas!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #364 of 425

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I would be a lot better off if I would ship them to you!! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #365 of 425

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #366 of 425

If you've made the Wicked Whoopie Pie, how did you make the "1 cup sour milk" called for in the recipe. After waiting so long to make these and drooling over the pictures, I'd hate to do it wrong. Thanks

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #367 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delie

If you've made the Wicked Whoopie Pie, how did you make the "1 cup sour milk" called for in the recipe. After waiting so long to make these and drooling over the pictures, I'd hate to do it wrong. Thanks

Just add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk to sour it. Or you could just use buttermilk.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #368 of 425

Thanks so much for the advise on wrapping these things. I need to make 90 of these for a group of Camp counselors so I need a fool proof first time recipe. Which pie and filling gives you the least trouble everyone.

Yes, Fiddle, I am trying to squeeze 40 years of living into each day, LOL. Being the new chair of the Camp Auxiliary is really becoming an obsession as I love doing for all these kids with disabilities. I think it will be the most rewarding thing I have ever done, and I hope I can leave a little good behind when I am done. We just joined the Lions club here and I am really busy at church dinners too. I love the modeling stuff and I have so many ideas that I won't be able to use them in 10 lifetimes!!!! I keep telling myself that I will stop collecting but I just can't pass up something cute. Just about the time I thought there was going to be a break, I run into this thread, so here I go again. I was looking for your name as I haven't been on here for many weeks because I knew it would lead me to something good. Darn, I was right LOL.
Take care and keep in touch.

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #369 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delie

Just add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk to sour it. Or you could just use buttermilk.

Thanks maryjsgirl. Appreciate the advice. icon_smile.gif

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #370 of 425

Hi all! where is the oatmeal whoopie recipe? I didn't get any updates for the last 4-5 days and now this topic it is looong lol! I'm lost! icon_sad.gif thank you

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #371 of 425

Delie.. I used buttermilk cause I had it in the house!
Oh thx Lily your to sweet!
I like the Wicked Whoopies the best I think they are guaranted to turn out good! Of course you could change up the filling flavor if you dont want them all the same !

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:28pm
post #372 of 425

CbyA.. I just use my reg Oatmeal cookie recipe off the Quaker Oatmeal canister. The filling is posted a few pages back by Teekakes..

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #373 of 425

Hey fiddlesticks, the most famous whoopie lady here in Maine is Amy Bouchard. Here's a link to her site, and that's her holding the whoopies. They're BIG here. icon_biggrin.gif http://www.wickedwhoopies.com/info.php?ssidx=MzI2MS43Ng== And here is a link to her recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Wicked-Whoopie-Pies-162298 The most popular whoopie pie here is the chocolate cake and white cream. Pumpkin spice with cream cheese is popular in the the fall. A peanut butter filling in a whoopie is fairly popular. The prices can range anywhere from $1 to $3 or more depending on where you go. There are roadside stands and bakeries and even supermarkets and of course convenient stores that sell them. EVERYONE sells them. And everyone eats them. Tee hee! icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:38pm
post #374 of 425

mellee.. Thanks,Thats the recipe I used and posted ( my choc ones ) a few pages back!!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #375 of 425

I know fiddle, I posted it toward the beginning of this thread too, and now I know for sure that you are making "REAL" Maine whoopies, LOL! Yours all look so darn good! Your family must be in ecstasy. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #376 of 425

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif They are all probably in a sugar coma by now icon_lol.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #377 of 425

I am going to take the advice of you seasoned chefs and make the Wicked Whoopie Pies. Has anyone tried the filling that comes with her recipe and if so, did you like it? Was also thinking of thinly slicing fresh strawberries to layer with the filling. You know spread just a thin layer of filling on each side of the cake, add the thin berry slices and then press together? Or how about fresh blueberries and filling in a vanilla pie?
Do you think that would work? How about a chocolate Mocha filling? Forgive me if these have been suggested but I am on dial up and going back to look is not an option!!!!!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #378 of 425

Lily! I was just about to pm you and see what you decided!
I made the filling that came with that recipe ..very good!
If your using the wicked recipe from the Oprah link..( I did ) then under that recipe is a link to click on for strawberry whoopies and also a strawberry filling. I still have to try that recipe but Teekakes made them and loved them to! maybe that will help with your berry filling idea?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #379 of 425
Quote:

mellee.. Thanks,Thats the recipe I used and posted ( my choc ones ) a few pages back!!

Wow, this recipe has been posted a lot... I posted the link to Oprah's site a while back too. icon_razz.gif I'm glad people are finding it so useful. It's hard to believe someone actually made a fortune off something as simple as two cakes sandwiched together with filling... genius really. icon_smile.gif

edited to correct Oprah's spelling: note to self~ I can sing "Opera", but I can't sing "Oprah'... icon_redface.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #380 of 425

K2cakes.. Hey where ya been ?? Yes I remember you did post it to ! I just happen to use who ever posted the link to Oprah( recipe) site Just happen to be what I clicked on( You ??)

kellertur Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #381 of 425
Quote:

K2cakes.. Hey where ya been ?? Yes I remember you did post it to ! I just happen to use who ever posted the link to Oprah( recipe) site Just happen to be what I clicked on( You ??)

I'm well, and you? icon_smile.gif

Tonight I'm making my "Neoplitan whoopies"...
only I'm making them:

wait for it...

"Square".... I may be ostracized for changing the shape, but I'm stepping outside the box because I'm sick of scooping. icon_razz.gif I'll post them when I'm done...... it's still the same recipe. icon_cool.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #382 of 425

LOL!!! You go ahead and make them any shape you want to !
They will still taste the same ! Let us know how this flavor is?
Oh and Im fine Thanks !! Whoopee!!!!!!!!!!

kellertur Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #383 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

but I am on dial up and going back to look is not an option!!!!!!!

I thought I was the last one on the planet with dial-up. icon_confused.gif I am however, probably the only one left without a cell phone... I really hate public phone conversations: "hey, I'm at the bank... so guess what I did last night?"

I'll get one for emergencies, but I'm not giving out my number. icon_razz.gif

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #384 of 425

K2cakes,
Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one without a cell phone! Don't want one, don't need one. I don't think I want everyone being able to get in touch with me ALL the time. Unless it's some sort of Whoopie emergency icon_rolleyes.gif !

Melissa

Cookies4kids Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:29am
post #385 of 425

K2cakes--that is soooo funny about the conversations you hear just about wherever you go. Really important to read the label on a can of soup to someone on the phone!!!! I will tell you though that we finally broke down and had to get a cell phone for traveling, but I do like the secure feeling that I get from knowing it's there. We rarely use it but it is nice to have it with me especially if I would have car trouble. Our new car came with Onstar which was really nice but got too expensive to keep.

Ok, one more time. Would someone shoot me the Ohpra link so I can get the strawberry whoopie recipe? I promise to pay better attention next time, LOL. Thanks

kellertur Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #386 of 425

Here you are~ (strawberry recipe link is at bottom of link page)

http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipessides/food_20070416_whoopie

My absolute FAVORITE cell phone shenanigans are when (with my daughter in the car) someone is driving next to me while simultaneously doing the "cell phone jive", drinking coffee and buttering a bagel... icon_eek.gif
I actually saw this once.... (I guess it's a hidden talent)? icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess I prefer a nice hand written sentiment or actual human interaction, especially when it's someone close by. Emergencies? Sure... but this is just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #387 of 425

(Cell phones are the work of the devil. icon_evil.gif )

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #388 of 425

I made the oatmeal whoopie pie and added 1 tsp of clove. The filling by Teecakes was good but a bit soft. But after I sandwick 2 cookies together and 15 mins have past the icing stiffen a bit. I have a lot of icing left over and I won't use this to iced a cake because it is way tooo soft. I would use it to frost my cinnamon rolls. See a picture of my whoopie pie and the icing I made.

Edit to added pictures. I have to resize pictures was to big
LL
LL

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #389 of 425

majormichel,
Those look yummy! I actually have oatmeal cookies in the oven right now so I can make whoopies! I have a cream cheese filling that I'm going to try on some of them and I have some left over filling from Teekakes recipe. I love Teekakes filling - the first time I made it I didn't read all the way through my notes and I didn't add the last 3 cups of powdered sugar! The taste was great but the filling was very soft icon_lol.gif ! But I don't think I'll try any other regular fillings - I just have to make Teekakes the right way!

Melissa

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #390 of 425

icon_smile.gificon_twisted.gif Dh will be quite happy that I FINALLY found this thread! thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%