Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By HeavenlyDelights Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm by indydebi

HeavenlyDelights Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

Greetings everybody,

I have a customer who would like black ribbon (she's already purchased it) on her buttrcream wedding cake. It is a standard three tier just concerned about the ribbon staining. can anyone help me with tips on h
ow to apply to each tier and preventing it from soaking the grease and staining the icing.

4 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 5

I have done lots of ribbons on cakes and I don't do anything to it. I frost and smooth then let it crust for a few hours. Sometimes overnight, then put ribbon on. I have never had one show signs of soaking in grease.

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

What Shelley said is how I do it.

Another option if you don't use a crusting BC or don't have the time to wait for it to crust, is to pre-stain the whole ribbon ahead of time. Grab a big 'ole hunk of crisco and coat the ribbon on both sides (I hold the crisco in my hand and run the ribbon thru my fingers).

Careful using this method on some colors. I did this on a navy blue ribbon and it turned black! icon_surprised.gif Fortunately I had extra ribbon. icon_redface.gif

HeavenlyDelights Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 5

okay thanks for the tips one more question how do i attach the ends. or will it just stick with buttercream.

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 5

I just use a blop of BC to glue them together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%