Help!!!! Boy Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By msbaker84 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm by pattycakesnj

msbaker84 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone I am new to this forum, site and cake making. I had a question I'm doing a surprise baby shower cake for my cousin its next weekend she is having a boy . This is my real first crack at MMF and to say the least I'm terrified. I love to bake but never have time to take any Wilton classes. Have any ideas for the cake flavors/fillings? I'm planning to use MMF. Also is there another icing I can use that crusts well other than butter cream? I could really use anyone's help!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!! HELP!!!! also I need it to feed about 50 people would it be too much if I used a 10"for the top and 12" for the bottom!!! Again thank you to anyone in advance for your help!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I tried to ask for help over @ wilton but there was only 1 person shouts to hpjmom.

Thank you Steph

9 replies
cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 10

What shape of pan are you using? I'm assuming either round or square. According to Wilton's party guide: a 10 inch round will give you 28 and a 12 inch round will give you 40 slices. So a total of 68 slices between the two sizes. A square 10 inch will give you 30 and a 12 inch will give you 48 for a total of 78.

A 8 and 10 inch round would give you 48 and an 8 and 10inch square would give you 50. I just thought I would put that in there in case you don't want all the extra cake from the other sizes.

What kind of icing do you want besides buttercream? A Swiss Meringue?

Hope this has helped.

brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 10

if you are nervous (it seems so from ur post, if not, ignore me), why not stick to what you know? although its good to challenge your self, you dont want too many challenges in one go!

classic flavours like vanilla or chocolate sponge, with jam, vanilla, chocolate, or coffee bc are great. or theres lots of different resipes on here - the topping ones should tell you if they crust, or else pm the creator.

working with fondant takes practice, so just be prepared with lots of time for this cake, read the tips on here for working with it. and also things like how to colour it and things.
xx

foxymomma521 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 10

Are you using the fondant for accents? Just curious because you say you'll be using MMF and want a crusting icing...

i_heart_pastry Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 10

I'd stick with basic buttercream. It's easy to make and works well with fondant. If you want to mix up the filling, you can always add chopped Oreos to your buttercream, use preserves, Nutella, etc. Make your fondant a few days in advance so that it can rest and so that you can see if it shapes up well. I'd make an extra batch, just in case you have trouble with your first try. I agree with giving yourself extra time...I still tend to underestimate how long it will take me to do a cake.

Clystrial is right about serving sizes - a 12 & 10-inch will give you more servings than you need (although leftovers may be a bonus!). Also, smaller sizes tend (IMO) to be easier to cover with fondant, especially if it's your first attempt. Good luck!

Bec

jensenscakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #6 of 10

Don't take on too much at once. I would stick to trying a new filling. A great filling can really accent a regular choc or white cake. Good luck with your cake!

msbaker84 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 10

Hello

Cylstrial - I will be using round pans. And whats Swiss Buttercream never had that is it good? Do they have a good recipe on here?

brincess_b - Thanks for the tips.

foxymomma521- Well i'll be using fondant to cover the cakes but from what i've been reading I thought you would have to let the frosting crust 1st then apply the fondant.

i_heart_pastry - Good idea with the chopped oreos, sometimes I forget you can do stuff like that.

jensenscakes - Thanks

Thank you again everyone I really apprecitae your tips and suggestions..I'll be sure to post a pic when i make the cake..... icon_biggrin.gif

msbaker84 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 10

Well everyone with all your help and tips this is what I created. Thank you all once again. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

foxymomma521 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 10

Beautiful! Any new mom would be proud to have that cake!

pattycakesnj Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 10

great job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%