Chocolate Plastic?

Decorating By DyMakesCake Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm by drakegore

DyMakesCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 6

I was reading through one of my cupcake books today and came across a recipe for Chocolate Plastic which they recommend making with Wilton Candy melts and light corn syrup.

In the book they used it to make roses and leaves but also mentioned it could be used for bows and ribbons.....

I have googled everything I can think of and can't find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend any websites or books where I can learn more or maybe get tutorials on working with "Chocolate Plastic"?

TIA!

5 replies
miss-tiff Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Plastic-Chocolate/Detail.aspx

That is the recipe I have used. It was very pliable - I used cookie cutters to cut out shapes, and have also used it to cover a cake.

drakegore Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 6

hi!
there is:

candy (wilton) plastic or modeling clay
chocolate plastique
white chocolate plastique
milk chocolate plastique

each has only two ingridents: the "chocolate" of choice and corn syrup.
the amounts of corn syrup should vary in each depending on fat in your choc o'choice icon_smile.gif.

after you've mixed the two, you pour onto plastic wrap, wrapping it tightly (i dble wrap mine), and putting it in the fridge to age for overnight, or better 24 hours. then you bring it out, and take a small bit and begin to knead until smooth and glossy. then you can begin to use in a bunch of ways. you can microwave for 5 seconds on each side before you begin to knead if the plastic is rock hard.

on my avatar photo, i have used it as a ribbon, a monogram placque (and i stamped a pattern on it before i added the intial), and the dogwood branches.

toba garrett has both cookie and cake books where she does beautiful chocolate roses. i also like her recipe for the semi-sweet.

you would make bows and ribbons out of plastic the same way you would with fondant/gumpaste.

hope this helps,
diane

DyMakesCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

hi!
there is:

candy (wilton) plastic or modeling clay
chocolate plastique
white chocolate plastique
milk chocolate plastique

each has only two ingridents: the "chocolate" of choice and corn syrup.
the amounts of corn syrup should vary in each depending on fat in your choc o'choice icon_smile.gif.

after you've mixed the two, you pour onto plastic wrap, wrapping it tightly (i dble wrap mine), and putting it in the fridge to age for overnight, or better 24 hours. then you bring it out, and take a small bit and begin to knead until smooth and glossy. then you can begin to use in a bunch of ways. you can microwave for 5 seconds on each side before you begin to knead if the plastic is rock hard.

on my avatar photo, i have used it as a ribbon, a monogram placque (and i stamped a pattern on it before i added the intial), and the dogwood branches.

toba garrett has both cookie and cake books where she does beautiful chocolate roses. i also like her recipe for the semi-sweet.

you would make bows and ribbons out of plastic the same way you would with fondant/gumpaste.

hope this helps,
diane

You're awesome!!! Thanks!!

Monkess Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 6

Google chocolate plastique and it comes up! Great technique.

drakegore Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 6

i love the chocolate and even use it for cookies. i love to use rubber stamps (dedicated to food only) on it too. it just tastes good too icon_biggrin.gif

dede wilson has a recipe for candy platic that i haven't tried yet, but i can't imagine it won't be great:

28 oz. candy melts
2/3 cup cornsyrup

the other thing i forgot to mention, is that if you need to color your chocolate plastic, you cannot use the regular americolor or wilton gel colors. you will have to use candy colors which are oil based. wilton has a few of these in craft stores and you can find them online at most cake suppliers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%