Mmf Disaster. Can You Help Me Fix It? Video Attached. :(

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm by jardot22

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 17

Every time I make MMF it never turns out right. I dont know what Im doing wrong but it is always crumbly. I just cant get the right consistency and its never elastic like people say its supposed to be.

Here is the recipe I have used the last 3 times I made this:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

This looks pretty much the same as any other recipe Ive used, so I dont think I can blame my mess on the recipe. lol.

Here is a video. Can you help me fix this to make it usable?
PS if the video doesnt work Ill try to post it another way. Ive never posted a video so Im not sure how this is going to work.

(if you guys cant view this let me know)

16 replies
CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 17

I've never had this happen to me so I can't help, But heres a bump

JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 17

Oh well I guess I wont be able to play with my fondant tonight. lol. Its after 10pm, Im going to bed. Ill check tomorrow morning and see if anyone has any advice for me. The fondant is wrapped up right now so Ill fuss with it tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #4 of 17

I use the exact same recipe and I have never had this happpen! I only use 2 Tabelspoons of water in my marshmallows in a greased bowl and I use my mixer (greased bowl) until it comes together then dump it out onto a greased and powdered surface and knead powdered sugar into it until it gets like playdough consistency! And deffinately use the better brands even the crisco! I hope this helps!

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 17

Here's a link to a video I learned this from!

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #6 of 17

hi JCE62108.... sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with mmf...

i also first learn mmf with peggy weaver... on my first try, i realized that i don't need to use all the ps, i add 1/2 cup at a time coz if you added too much ps mmf will be crumbly and its hard to make it pliable again... i started with small batch first, 1 cup mm's, 1 T water and 2-4 cups ps. again adding the ps 1/2 cup at a time helped me achieved the right consistency. you don't need to use all the ps, if you think you already achieved the softness/texture that you need you have to stop adding ps and start kneading it.

before i get my hands in making mmf i kinda learned the right consistency with dry out play doh... i just add a little bit of water until i get the play doh pliable. this also made me realized that mmf are similar with it. if you got the courage to try mmf again, start w/ small amounts so you're not wasting alot of ingrediants and effort. just pm me if you need more help w/ mmf =)

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:45am
post #7 of 17

Try kneading in a very small amont of crisco then add a very small (pinch or 2) amount of water and knead that in if it's too sticky at this point just knead and knead using up any remaing PS or sprinkle a very small amount and knead and knead.. did I say knead?! I hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:04am
post #8 of 17

Did you use the Jet Puffed MM ...

If you did I think that is your problem.

I only use the store brand MM and have heard others say not to use the Jet puffed brand.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 17

Are you kneading it on a surface dusted with powdered sugar? In my cake class, we made our fondant and our instructor told us to use corn starch instead of PS when kneading.

Quote:
Quote:

Did you use the Jet Puffed MM ...

If you did I think that is your problem.

I only use the store brand MM and have heard others say not to use the Jet puffed brand.

I agree with JamieAnn, for some reason JettPuff doesn't work as well as regular no-name brand & mini mm work better for me.......

hth.

JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 17

I did use the jet puffed ones. I thought that was what I was supposed to use! A lot of people say to only use good quality brand names. But....come to think of it....I think the one time I did use an off brand it came out a little better...

Ok, well I will see what I can do with my fondant this morning. Guys I looked at it, its in a sealed zip lock bag with all the air removed and I can see puddles of water in it! Ok...does this mean it isnt too dry after all? or that I just didnt knead it enough?

Thanks for all your comments so far! I greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Oh and someone was asking what I used on the counter, I just used an off brand shortening. I figured it wouldnt matter so much getting an off brand because I dont plan on covering the cake with this stuff, I just want to mold some decorations for my son's first birthday cake. Flowers and palm trees, some tiny fish, etc.

JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 17

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 17

JCE62108 -

I think you need to toss that batch and try with the no-name MM .
It has nothing to do with the shortening , I only use store brand shortening because the Crisco brand is "No trans Fat" and doesn't work in my buttercream.

I honestly think the Jet puffed is the problem. I dust my surface with Powdered sugar, use store brand MM and store brand Shortening, and have never had a problem with my MMF.

HTH

JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you so much for your help. Oh well at least maybe now I know what the problem is. Ill probably try again in a few days. Thank you all!

JCE62108 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #14 of 17

LOOK I fixed it!!!

Lol I wish!

My hubby picked up a bag of winn dixie brand mm when he was out today. The only thing I did different was less water AND less ps. I think it just had way too much water. i cant imagine any other reason why it would be leaking like it was. Ew. Actually I took that stuff out and started playing with little balls of it. If I kneaded a little ball and let it sit on the counter, water would start coming out of it and the outside of the ball would get slick.

There was no fixing that stuff. Anyways thanks for everyone's suggestions! I did as one person said and just added a little bit of sugar at a time until I got the consistency I needed. I never added more than a tbsp of water. Last time I must have added 3 or 4.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 17

Definitely too much water. You only need half the amount you added.

P.S. I used Jet-Puffed mini's with no problems at all. I think it was just the amount of liquid you had that caused the problems.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 17

Yes that was way too much water and adding more powdered sugar at that point is still over powering the melted marshmellows and they give the elasticity. Funny seeing it soo wet!

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 17

I'm glad you were able to figure out what went wrong! It's so frustrating when you end up wasting all those ingredients and have to start all over again!

I have always used the Jet-puffed brand with good results, so I'm not sure if that would have been part of the issue or not. Just thought I'd throw that in! Although after hearing that the store brand works well, maybe I can stop shelling out the extra $$ for the Jet-puffed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%