Should I?

Baking By CbyA Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm by pattycakesnj

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #1 of 12

Ok, I got a big order of 300 decorated cookies for a "Quinceanera" a few days ago and I told them I'm going to do the sample with the logo they want on them and the colors to see if that is how they want it and today they call me because they want 'lemon cookies' and they want to taste them, I don't do this very often, so, should I charge them for the samples? Also, they said if I can make 2 or 3 diferent designs with the same colors and logo to see wich one they like more icon_eek.gif How can I handle this???!!!thank you cbya

11 replies
CbyA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 12

anyone???

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 12

I think you should charge them. Even though they are ordering more cookies from you, you shouldn't be out your ingredients to make them a sample batch.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #4 of 12

I agree with myslady, that is too much work to do for free.

Cindy

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:25am
post #5 of 12

What about a "consultation fee", that will be applied to the order once all decisions are made?

CbyA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #6 of 12

I like that 'consultation fee', sounds professional!!! thumbs_up.gif thank youuuuuuuuu cbya

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:47am
post #7 of 12

Hmmm...I don't like the sound of this. How many samples will you have to provide? One? One for every member of the extended family? What if they decide after tsting the cookies that they don't want lemon, but orange instead? More samples? What if they decide that they like only part of one design, and part of another, and want you to provide additional samples with the designs combined? Definitely add the cost as a consultation fee. It's not like you can bake up just a couple cookies, you have to make a full batch.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 12

I will provide one sample for free. The others will cost them. I made a signature cookie for a local playplace/coffee house a year ago and brought the sample over to them. They were happy to pay for it, but I said, "Prototypes are free." The owner then asked if he could order a couple dozen prototypes. He was just kidding, of course, but some people do want you to work for free. I think one is doable, but you should be paid for any more than that.

Alagoas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alagoas Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 12

Look at this
http://www.rollingpinproductions.com/CookieSamples.htm

I'm sure we are sometimes afraid to charge for samples because we underestimate our work/business... so following a big company's procedures will surely make us feel less guilt...

CbyA Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 12

I feel exactly like you said GeminiRJ, something doesn't sound right I will charge a consultation fee for sure and also ask for 50% deposit because it is a lot of work 300 cookies.
Alagoas, thanks for that information!
Do you think 25.00 it will be ok for consultation fee? 'cause I can make the whole batch with that, you know...thanks all for your help, cbya.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 12

I would think 25 at least-50 would be my cap probably. Remember the time to make ONE cookie- you'll be spending no less than one hour just preparing and decorating, then you have to set aside time to meet with the clients for the tasting. Make the batch of dough, use what you need, then freeze the rest- when is the actual event? You should be able to save and use the one they choose.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 12

All bakeries and others who do this full time, charge for tastings, so why shouldn't you.
Also, I require a 50% deposit once order is placed. If they cancel, even weeks before, even though you haven't made the cookies, you probably spent time designing and doing other prep work. Also you may have turned down another order for the same time, thinking you couldn't do both. We must act professional since that is what we are. Even if we are part time or home based, we should be compensated for our time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%