Anyone See "food Detectives" On Food Network?

Business By littlecake Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 6:05am by mkolmar

littlecake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 9

it was really interesting this time, they did an experiment, on how people perceive how food will taste.

they took the exact same food...fed one group the food off paper plates plastic cups etc....just called it generic names like "chocolate cake"....the people in this group rated the food around a #3...with one being the worst and 10 the best.

the next group they used the same food...plated it fancy, used fine china and wine goblets, tablecloths...and gave it fancy names...like double dutch chocalte surprise or something like that....they voted 8.5.

SAME FOOD

wow

i worked at a couple of in store bakeries before i opened my place...and even tho they expected us to decorate really fast, i always did my best to make the cakes look nice.

it was so funny the customers said (A LOT), "oh, since she's here the cake tastes soooo much better!"

it wasn't like i was baking it...same old frozen shipped in cake, same old icing by the cube.....

people really do eat with their eyes.

8 replies
adonisthegreek1 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

people really do eat with their eyes.

Yes, we do really eat with our eyes. I missed the show, but even my kids enjoy Food Detectives.

miss-tiff Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 9

I haven't seen that episode, but I did see the one where they showed how many germs get spread over a cake when someone blows out the birthday candles. I thought about that this weekend when a niece and nephew were both busily trying to get their last candle out... Thanks Food Detectives.

Alaskahsm Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 9

Okay, Ew, Somethings you would just rather not think about icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

Yup. This is why I do my tastings w/ nice china and glassware and serve it on a nice tray.
It also saves me money and I don't have to buy forks, plates, and glasses all of the time.

onebigdogmama Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

I haven't seen that episode, but I did see the one where they showed how many germs get spread over a cake when someone blows out the birthday candles. I thought about that this weekend when a niece and nephew were both busily trying to get their last candle out... Thanks Food Detectives.

I saw that one too about the time it was my DH b-day...he said no thanks to the candles.

I saw the one about the food too. I started to laugh and describe our dinner-- fish, noodles and broccoli to my husband in a fancy way and he said I don't care, I'm hungry.

mkolmar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:27am
post #7 of 9

I knew a family who would have the b-day person clap their hands to blow out their b-day candles. That way no blowing germs everywhere. I've started doing it with my kids too. They clap the ones out that are on the cake and then I re-light a few for them to blow out that I'm holding, or I take their piece of cake and put the candles in it this way.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:46am
post #8 of 9

th most recent one I saw was about how much alcohol cooks out/doesn't cook out of food - baked goods retain half the alcohol

mkolmar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:05am
post #9 of 9

It takes about 7 hours for all the alcohol to bake/cook off. (I don't mind though---give me more of it for my baked goods!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%