Frog Cake? No Clue

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm by zdebssweetsj

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a frog cake for my nephew's birthday. It will be for free (I don't charge on family cakes), and I'm delivering it 3 hours away.

He wants a frog cake, but wasn't any more specific. I'm thinking a 9x13 sheet cake, frosted with BC, and colored with blue and green airbrushing. I'm also planning on making RI cattails, lily pads and lily pad flowers. OK, maybe I do have a clue, but I still need help. icon_biggrin.gif

HOW DO I MAKE A FROG? I have the mini bear pan, will that work? If it will, how do I cover it/frost it? Fondant, GP or BC? Anyone have pics? I'd like to stay away from doing a 3-d hand modeled figure (didn't like art in school). And should I make it out of cake or RKT?

Thanks!

6 replies
zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:23am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

I have been asked to make a frog cake for my nephew's birthday. It will be for free (I don't charge on family cakes), and I'm delivering it 3 hours away.

He wants a frog cake, but wasn't any more specific. I'm thinking a 9x13 sheet cake, frosted with BC, and colored with blue and green airbrushing. I'm also planning on making RI cattails, lily pads and lily pad flowers. OK, maybe I do have a clue, but I still need help. icon_biggrin.gif

HOW DO I MAKE A FROG? I have the mini bear pan, will that work? If it will, how do I cover it/frost it? Fondant, GP or BC? Anyone have pics? I'd like to stay away from doing a 3-d hand modeled figure (didn't like art in school). And should I make it out of cake or RKT?

Thanks!

I recently did a leap year birthday cake which had some of your ideas, I will try to post a picture in the a.m. I'm at work now. I used modeling choc for the frog. Peanut butter flavored candy melt covered marshmellows for stones and rocks, gumpaste water lilies,piping gel for the pond. At first I used a mini bear pan to make the frog with I didn't like it so I switched to modeling chocolate.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 7

Here's one I made that might give you some ideas:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1332862

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 7

I have a frog prince cake in my photos that you can look at. If it is of any use to you please PM me and I will answer questions as best I can. I sculpted the frog using a frog beanie baby as my model.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1141373

nutmeg44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutmeg44 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 7

I don't have any helpful hints, but I love this one from the gallery...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=683723

debydll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debydll Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 7

Hi Sugar!! icon_biggrin.gif
In Debbies Brown´s book, 50 easy party cakes, there is a 3D frog very nice and really easy to make!! icon_biggrin.gif I hope you like it!!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 7

Hi I've loaded the picture of my frog cake in my photos, Hope it will give you some ideas. Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%