Blue Wedding Cake?

Decorating By BabeyCakey Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm by BabeyCakey

BabeyCakey Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 17

I'm making my first wedding cake for a good friend of mine next month. She has finally decided that she wants a 3-layer (square) cake in baby blue, trimmed in white. At first, she wanted all white - and I had so many ideas toiling around in my head...but now with blue, I'm a little stumped! I guess that sounds silly, but does anyone have suggestions on how I can make this cake elegant? I don't want her reception to be mistaken for a baby shower! LOL. TIA!

16 replies
sgauta Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 17

One of my favorite places to go for inspiration is:

http://www.jacquespastries.com

I seem to remember seeing some light blue/white cakes on there! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

BabeyCakey Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 17

Thanks, Sarah! That's exactly what I need - inspiration! That's a really cool site, beautiful wedding cakes!

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 17

I have one that matches your description exactly in my photos icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 17

HEre's a blue/white cake I did. The florals in the center make it look Christmasy, but obviously you can sub any decor. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=364823 I don't think a blue cake necessarily looks like a baby shower cake, anymore than a pink wedding cake looks like a baby shower.

BabeyCakey Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 17

Thanks Kakeladi - I LOVE the Kerry Vincent cake...that is beautiful!

BabeyCakey Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 17

Thanks Indydebi! I actually never thought of putting silver in there. I've been so stuck on blue/white that I never thought of throwing silver in to accent. I should probably clarify too - my fear in creating a blue (or any other color) cake only has to do with this one being my first cake...I just want to give the bride what she wants without disappointing her icon_sad.gif

classiccake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #8 of 17

Look at Wedgewood china for inspiration....wonderful blue china with white accents.

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

Look at Wedgewood china for inspiration....wonderful blue china with white accents.

Excellent suggestion. I collect china vases (mostly antique asian) but have 2 or 3 wedgewoods. I've looked at them a million times thinking they'd make a pretty cake! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

Excellent suggestion. I collect china vases (mostly antique asian) but have 2 or 3 wedgewoods. I've looked at them a million times thinking they'd make a pretty cake! icon_biggrin.gif

classiccake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #11 of 17

I think the color or shade of blue is important also. I think the wedgewood blue look is very elegant.

BabeyCakey Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 17

Actually, when I spoke with her last, that's exactly how she described the color - Wedgewood China!! Thank you all for the tips - I'll definitely be able to use that for inspiration! Also - she wants a shiny/satiny look to the finish of the fondant. Would that be best achieved with luster dust? I've also heard of painting a mixture of eggwhites/water?

i_heart_pastry Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:33pm
post #13 of 17

I think a dry-dust of luster would look beautiful on a Wedgewood Blue cake!

Bec

pouchet82 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 17

What type of flowers will she have at the wedding? I know I have seen a pale blue cake on the site with blossoms...I think it is beautiful!

pouchet82 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #16 of 17
BabeyCakey Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks Bec! I think that will give the perfect touch to the finish. Oooh I like the blue cake with the blue ribbon! I believe she is going to have white roses. I just found a cake that has apple blossoms with white roses between the layers. I'm going to start playing with it this weekend...I'm actually excited over it now! Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I love CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%