Terrible Wedding Cake Color Question!!

Decorating By kyoung24 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm by sadsmile

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 6

I need some creative inspiration on this one. I have my first wedding cake to do for friends of my husband. The bride showed me a photo of what she wanted which was a very basic 3 tier white round with white garland on side and flowers on top. They also wanted a shell border and said they did not like the ribbon look or pearl look as a border.
Then the groom said he liked the swag look and wanted to go for that with flowers. ok, here's the kicker...he wants the swag in Purdue black and gold! What do I do!!!!!!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6

Usually one wantsto keep those colors to a minimum.
Is the bride o.k. w/the colors????
Do you have time to practice? Make up some white flowers (roses?) and carefully pain the top edges blk & gold to see how it will look. That might be a way to keep the blk to a minimum.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 6

I think it will look great! Use gold florals as the primary color with some small black florals stuck in there for accents.

kyoung24 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 6

The groom wanted the cake and roses in ivory and the swag in black and gold. I think the idea of adding the gold flowers with black accent might be better with and ivory swag. I just have a bad vision of the black and gold swag on the cake looking like a Purdue banner or something. Ha..I'm even a Purdue grad and can't get my mind around having it as a wedding cake!

kyoung24 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 6

Do I still do the garland on the side as the bride wanted? I have been searching the gallery for a photo of a cake with a swag and garland and I haven't been able to come up with anything.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 6

I saw an all ivory cake with black accents and swags somewhere and it was stunning! I love the idea for small black and gold accents with larger white roses hoding the swags up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%