Does Mmf Work?

Decorating By Alaskahsm Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm by Deb_

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone used MMF for modeling with? Like flowers or people or things like that? I was told it wouldn't work, is that true?

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 4

I've always just used gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mix. I guess you could try it. If you want the flowers to stay flat (like you will just glue them flat to the cake) it would probably work. But if you want them to hold their shape and stay up...you will probably need tylose/fondant, gumpaste, or gumpaste/fondant. Good luck!

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 4

I was just making some coral-type stuff today and I used regular boxed fondant and some leftover MMF that I had on hand. It's hours later and the pieces made from the boxed stuff are really hard, whereas the ones made from MMF are still a bit bendy and soft. I don't know that they'll harden very much more, but I'll give them a chance. Long story short -- it seems that MMF doesn't always work too well for something that needs to 'stand' on its own!

Sarah

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 4

I use a mixture of 50/50 MMF/gumpaste (both homemade) for all my figures and they harden up fairly fast depending on the size. Here is the last thing I made with this mixture.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1332363

They dried in about 3 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%