New Cake Tv Show Casting For Un-Discovered Talent!

Decorating By Heath Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm by Love2BakeCakes

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #301 of 454

MacsMom...yeah I was like that....It was almost impossible to get all that information in 10 minutes PLUS somehow show myself doing some kind of extreme cake? I didn't have time to go out and actually do an additional crazy cake, I was already doing orders for customers. So I just showed myself doing several steps...and finished product...of a treasure chest cake (nothing exciting) I made for a customer that weekend.

I haven't heard anything back though so I figure...eh probably not. I know my personality is NOT the bubbly, excitable tv type they are probably looking for.... I feel like I could probably do a cake for them, but I don't think I am the type of fun loving crazy personality they'd like for the show. Its ok! My hubby probably won't want to babysit four boys for a whole week anyway LOL, esp as he already let me buy a ticket to visit a friend for four days this summer!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:22am
post #302 of 454

Don't give up hope yet! They are still pouring through tapes, editing them and getting them to the producers from what I gather. We won't know until the end of the week at the earliest, and Jackie stated that everyone who applied will get a call thumbs_up.gif

As awesome as Jackie and Heath are, I'm sure they will keep us updated on the next steps - after the producers have picked their choices.

Watching "The Last Cake Standing" has my stomach in knots - I have the confidence in my ability to do cakes like that given the opportunity, but in 24 hrs? 8 hrs?

Anyway, it's been fun just going through this process and dreaming big.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #303 of 454

We no longer pay for cable tv so I can't regularly watch it, but was watching tonight with a friend. I noticed that some of the fondant was not neatly done and not smooth....of course they were dog tired and doing their best. But still....

I think I could do it, but guess I don't know until I try! My weakness would be actually building a stand as I don't have much knowledge on that. I could build it on paper but not construct it in real life unless someone showed me how!

I'm sure I could cram last minute though. haha.

MacsMom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #304 of 454

I know! That's what killing me... all the cramming I'll have to do last-minute and having to cancel customers orders if I end up one of the lucky ones. icon_redface.gif

Again, I love all this dreaming I get to do icon_rolleyes.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:50am
post #305 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

We no longer pay for cable tv so I can't regularly watch it, but was watching tonight with a friend. I noticed that some of the fondant was not neatly done and not smooth....of course they were dog tired and doing their best. But still....

I think I could do it, but guess I don't know until I try! My weakness would be actually building a stand as I don't have much knowledge on that. I could build it on paper but not construct it in real life unless someone showed me how!

I'm sure I could cram last minute though. haha.

I know...I'd love to learn more about building extreme stands. I do ok with pvc but I want to learn how to do other stuff....like Mary's firefly cake, how she attached the wire arms to her structure. And with pyrotechnics I am clueless!!

Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #306 of 454

I've never even used PVC....so far just wooden dowels and platforms...one time my hubby built me a metal stand for my hot air balloon but that's it.

I haven't had any PVC orders! icon_cry.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #307 of 454

At least you got that far, some of us still have yet to get a response to the original application. I don't think they really are going to answer all of us. I guess I will still wait, not holding breath.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #308 of 454

I haven't heard a thing since I sent in my video before Easter, but now hearing that they want fireworks and smoke and spinning, I kinda hope they don't pick me - I just don't do that kind of thing!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #309 of 454

Well! I just had my bubble busted and confidence deflated. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I was chatting with Courtney Clark on My Space, (you may recognize her from Food Network's Cake Challenges, including the most recent Last Cake Standing series), and I was asking advice (just incase there was a chance I would get picked for the contest).

She informed me that she was competing, as well. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif What? Come again??? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif Needless to say, I was a bit shocked. My reason for being thrown off-guard is because I was under the impression based on what was written, "They are looking for undiscovered elite cake decorators for a new series." So, dumb me ASSUMED they weren't looking for people ALREADY FAMOUS. What the heck?

So, I am quite disillusioned at this point. Have ANY OF YOU been notified as of yet???

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #310 of 454

Yep - that seals it for me - I'm out!! haha!! I have no interest in competing against the likes of Courtney - I mean really!! SHE'S AMAZING! And I don't do smoke, spinning, fireworks either!!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #311 of 454

Wow that is disappointing because i too was under the impression that it was for undiscovered talant and kourtany is by no means undiscovered. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #312 of 454

lol...After those challenges on food network and seeing them crying like babies cause of the stress I am not sure I want to even go there..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #313 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly101

Wow that is disappointing because i too was under the impression that it was for undiscovered talant and kourtany is by no means undiscovered. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Let's not jump to conclusions, here! icon_cool.gif

We have no idea what they plan to do with the show yet. What if they plan to pair up the already discovered with the undiscovered? Wouldn't you die for that opportunity? What if she is a judge?

I'm in, even if I have to compete against one of my favorite cake decorators - I LOVE Courteney Clark and would be thrilled to spend a few days in her presence, even with cake in my face! (Sorry for the pun).

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #314 of 454

That's a bummer. She's hardly undiscovered talent! Oh well. Such is life.

Michele

Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #315 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

lol...After those challenges on food network and seeing them crying like babies cause of the stress I am not sure I want to even go there..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I thought about that!!!!!

ruthscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthscakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #316 of 454

I checked with the casting agent I've been working with after reading this latest thread. Here is what she wanted me to tell you guys:

I checked out the board and I don't know if there is a way you can tell them that we are still definitely selecting applicants. Some people won't hear anything until the end of June even. They will get at least 3 weeks in advance notice. They are selecting all across the board, ones who have done FN challenges and ones who have not. They are looking for the best of the best! So no need to worry to others. =)

Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #317 of 454

Thanks!

The way I see it....I probably won't get picked....if I do, whoa that's way cool...but if not, I'm still satisfied making my friends, family, and customers happy with my cakes! After all, that's why I do this. I wish everyone the best, whether they get on the show or whether they simply remain "famous" in the hearts of their local contacts!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #318 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

Well! I just had my bubble busted and confidence deflated. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I was chatting with Courtney Clark on My Space, (you may recognize her from Food Network's Cake Challenges, including the most recent Last Cake Standing series), and I was asking advice (just incase there was a chance I would get picked for the contest).

She informed me that she was competing, as well. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif What? Come again??? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif Needless to say, I was a bit shocked. My reason for being thrown off-guard is because I was under the impression based on what was written, "They are looking for undiscovered elite cake decorators for a new series." So, dumb me ASSUMED they weren't looking for people ALREADY FAMOUS. What the heck?

So, I am quite disillusioned at this point. Have ANY OF YOU been notified as of yet???

Now Deb.....you know you're as good if not better than Courtney. I love her but you know I love you more icon_lol.gif . You know better than start getting down on yourself.........Don't make me come to Cali!!!!

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #319 of 454

I just noticed this and I hope that I am not the idiot for the year.... BUT, what is the website you guys are responding to? I think I may have missed something. DUH...

CakesUnleashed Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #320 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthscakes

I checked with the casting agent I've been working with after reading this latest thread. Here is what she wanted me to tell you guys:

I checked out the board and I don't know if there is a way you can tell them that we are still definitely selecting applicants. Some people won't hear anything until the end of June even. They will get at least 3 weeks in advance notice. They are selecting all across the board, ones who have done FN challenges and ones who have not. They are looking for the best of the best! So no need to worry to others. =)

Thank you so very much for this message. I DO FEEL BETTER NOW.

One thing I want you all to know is that I have the utmost respect for Courtney Clark (an obvious argument to this fact is that I was asking her for advice) and I would never want her to have any ill feelings towards how hard this hit me. I truly believe she is one of the best pastry artists around and she deserves all the recognition she has gotten through hard work and diligent efforts. In no way, shape or form, would I EVER imply she is not worthy. She kicks cake butt. LOL!!

I was just disappointed that "undiscovered" didn't really stand for what I thought it meant. Ya know??

I will just feel honored to have a chance at doing something OUT OF THE CAKE BOX, if you know what I mean. I've had no real chances to prove myself and I thought this to be the perfect forum.

So, once again.....I am not angry, I am not mad at anyone --- I am just a bit disillusioned. I apologize for causing any undue drama for others.

Sorry!

CakesUnleashed Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #321 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:

Now Deb.....you know you're as good if not better than Courtney. I love her but you know I love you more icon_lol.gif . You know better than start getting down on yourself.........Don't make me come to Cali!!!!

As always, Patti - You are such a fabulous friend! I lubbins' you to pieces. Thank you for all the encouragement. I actually feel really bad that I said anything, at all. I should have kept my insecurities to myself as I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Love you, Girlie.

CakesUnleashed Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #322 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudence

I just noticed this and I hope that I am not the idiot for the year.... BUT, what is the website you guys are responding to? I think I may have missed something. DUH...

This is all based on this forum. Read the first entry on page 1 by Heath.

Good Luck!!

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #323 of 454

It would seem that they're looking for some 'big' names to help kick off the show to get it going. More people would be willing to watch and support (with advertising $$) for recognizable names over undiscovered talent. They want to be sure to get the show to make it first.

So I'm guessing that it will eventually develop into a less 'name' show and a more 'undiscovered' show as time goes on.

CakesUnleashed Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #324 of 454

Once again, I am sorry to have alarmed, pissed-off and/or scared people from participating.......I was just a bit surprised, and all.

Thank you for understanding...

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #325 of 454

No worries!! I read through... You are FINE!!

CakesUnleashed Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #326 of 454

Thank you for understanding my rant. LOL

CakesUnleashed Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #327 of 454

Well??? Anyone filming yet?

Suddenly, all is quiet.........

LOL

MacsMom Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #328 of 454

...I know. I'm being as patient as I can but I want to just scream, "WHO WILL I BE WATCHING?"

CakesUnleashed Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #329 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

...I know. I'm being as patient as I can but I want to just scream, "WHO WILL I BE WATCHING?"

Thank you! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif After the little upset I caused, I was thinking I was the only one DYING TO KNOW.

I appreciate your comment, I feel much better now.

Courtney Clark informed me that she and other FN people are going to be on the pilot, so I hope they are using the big FN Star names to get everyone's attention, then let the "undiscovered" talent compete in the series.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. slfjdsojfwoeruwoerhweo = My Fingers Crossed! Bwaaahhahaahahaaaa!!!!!

MacsMom Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #330 of 454
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Thank you! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif After the little upset I caused, I was thinking I was the only one DYING TO KNOW.

I appreciate your comment, I feel much better now.

Courtney Clark informed me that she and other FN people are going to be on the pilot, so I hope they are using the big FN Star names to get everyone's attention, then let the "undiscovered" talent compete in the series.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. slfjdsojfwoeruwoerhweo = My Fingers Crossed! Bwaaahhahaahahaaaa!!!!!

That's funny - I didn't think you caused an upset at all! Just an eye opening and more excitement, IMO. I'm sure no one would truly turn down this opportunity.

Knowing about the "big" names has only made me want it even more!

I am kicking myself now for not having the chance to film myslef making an extreme cake. Frank made me think I had to get my tape in immediately. If I knew I had another week, I could've done it! I asked him if he thought I should still send one to prove myself, but he said not to worry. Well I'M WORRIED!! I want this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%