Looking For A Recommendation On Washer/dryer To Buy, Please.

Lounge By butternut Updated 3 May 2009 , 4:54pm by butternut

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 13

Hey everyone. OK, TV blew a couple months back and now my washer and dryer are shot. Boy, when it rains, it does pour. Soooo, now I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer. I am hoping that someone can lead me in the right direction. I was looking at the Maytag Sport Duet but just found some pretty negative reviews on them, especially the washing machine. I've always had a top loading washer but it looks like the front loading might be a better option. If anyone has purchased a washer and dryer recently I'd really love to hear from you. Thanks so much for any advice or help you can give. Thanks soooooo much!!

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 13

I have the front load from LG..Love them!! Try the consumer reports website it may help you out in deciding!!

butternut Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 13

Ok, LG, I was just looking at them online. Thanks so much. I so wish that I had subscribed to Consumer reports. I never think that I'm going to need it and then something like this comes up.. sigh....

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 13

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a GE washer...I have one and it has a computer "brain" and it went kaput on me after only two years! The repair man said it would cost nearly as much to replace the mother board to fix it as it would to just go buy a new washer! So I am now looking for a new one!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 13

We bought a Maytag Neptune combo about 4 yrs ago when they first came out, big mistake!! The dryer has quit working, it got to where it would only go on 1 setting, and take forever to dry a load. The washer is still working okay but it takes too long, and I can't get the settings right on it either. It vibrated really bad even in the first year we had it, but they wouldn't do anything about it. So we are stuck with it. Good luck on finding a good one. My dh says that he will never buy a Maytag again or anything with touch controls.

butternut Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 13

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry that you guys have had such a problem with your washers/dryers. I'm so afraid of choosing the wrong ones and ending up having to buy again in a couple of years. Those things aren't cheap by no means. You've both given me something to think about and an idea of what to venture away from. I really do appreciate your help with this. Thanks so much.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 13

When we moved into our house 2 years ago, I bought new appliances. For the washing machine, my only 'want' was that I wanted the largest capacity available (4.7 cu ft). I really didn't care about top load vs front load or color. We ended up with all Kenmore Elite stuff because of the promotions they were running at the time.

We bought this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1.....ll+Washers

I liked the front load models, but the top load models (only looking at HE) were all cheaper by several hundred dollars. There was one more expensive one than this one that we bought (also a top load), but the only difference was that there was a window on the door. I wasn't really interested in paying $100 more to be able to watch my laundry spin.

Anyhow, it's a top-load, HE washer. I can stuff a king size comforter in it with no problems. It does help with drying because it spins much faster than the old style (non-HE).... the front-loaders tend to spin even faster. There is no big agitater 'pole' sticking up the middle of the drum..... just a hump on the bottom of the basin...so that helps you to pack more stuff into it.

HTH!
Denise

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:49am
post #8 of 13

Like Patticake I, too, bought a Maytag Neptune (front loader) when they first came out. It was expensive and proved to be a piece of junk. my washer didn't even last 5 years. I bought LG front loaders to replace them. I also purchased the risers so access is very easy, plus the risers are great storage for old rags, laundry detergent, softener sheets, etc. They work well, but I still think that a good old top loader does a better job cleaning clothes. I always buy the white bath towels from Costco and have found that they get dingy-looking after a short period of time. I don't like adding bleach to them often because I don't like the smell of bleach on bath towels.When I had my old top loader my whites stayed very white (without bleach). If I had to do it again, I'd probably save my money and buy a high-capacity top loader (one that has a high Consumer Report rating). Good luck with your decision!

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 13

We were going to go get a Whirlpool...I don't know much about them, but my parents had one for years and it is still going 25 years later!

butternut Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 13

Boy has this washer/dryer search been interesting. We have discovered that Lowes is probably the best place to purchase appliances and I just wanted to share that with everyone. For one, they will price match (exact model number) and if another store is offering 10% off of any washer and dryer (any major appliance I'm sure), then they will also offer the 10% on any model you choose. We also discovered that even before any sale or discount, they charged less than other stores for the same machine. Now, the best thing is their extended warranty. The washer/dryer that we are looking at after the 10% discount is around 1600.00. For BOTH washer and dryer, a 4 year (starting day 1 after the 1 yr's manufacturers warranty) is only 159.00. Not bad at all!!! So, we've got a little more searching to do but I honestly feel sure that whatever we decide on, we will be purchasing from Lowes. Thanks again everyone for your help!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 13

Yes go to Lowes. I love love love my Fischer and Paykel washer but I didn't buy the dryer (only the old washer was kaput) but I hear they are great too.

blondie500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondie500 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 13

I also bought a Fisher-Paykel from Lowes. It has an independent spinner and you can't hear it washing! All I hear is water swishing. They said it's the most energy efficient top loader and can save you quite a bit of money on your water usage. It does have the computer board and I did question that and they said it has a two year manufacturer's warranty (most new ones only have one) and it's about the price to replace the belt on older type machines. I also liked the fact that I can stop it at any time and put more clothes in if I need to. That was the one thing about front loaders that I wasn't crazy about. I find myself adding stuff to loads more often than I like.

butternut Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 13

Just to update, we decided to purchase the Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer. I have them stacked because of lack of space and I absolutely love them. I didn't know how I would like the front loading washer but I really do love it. It saves so much water and I've not had an issue with the clothes not getting clean. We did purchase the pads that go under the washer so that it doesn't "walk" and let me tell ya they don't budge...... I'm so glad that we went with this pair... Thanks again everyone for your help....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%