Md Commercial Vs Home Bakeries

Business By Barbclara Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 1:04am by bonniebakes

Barbclara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbclara Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

OK so I'm REAL NEWBIE at all of this and so I'm just trying to educate myself.

First of all, thanks much for the matrix that shows which states allow home-based bakeries and which don't. That's how I first learned that it is illegal to sell baked goods if made in your home kitchen. Bad news for me, as I am a Maryland resident!

I've been reading up some of the posts and in particular about the bill in MD that got killed by committee to legalize home bakeries. That' too bad, but in some ways great b/c it looks like we can keep introducing it and improving on it and hopefully it will get passed in the next few years here.

I am a little confused about the terms "commercial" and "home" bakery though. What if you say, converted garage space into a separate kitchen for your home-based cake decorating business? This is what I was thinking of doing to get around the issue of home kitchens being illegal. Wouldn't this 2nd kitchen be a commerical one, and therefore legal? Or is it still home-based since it is located in your personal residence, and therefore illegal?

See why I'm confused? Can someone please educate me?

Thanks, Barb

2 replies
Barbclara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbclara Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbclara

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks much for the matrix that shows which states allow home-based bakeries and which don't. That's how I first learned that it is illegal to sell baked goods if made in your home kitchen IN MD. Bad news for me, as I am a Maryland resident!

I am a little confused about the terms "commercial" and "home" bakery though. What if you say, converted garage space into a separate kitchen for your home-based cake decorating business? This is what I was thinking of doing to get around the issue of home kitchens being illegal. Wouldn't this 2nd kitchen be a commerical one, and therefore legal? Or is it still home-based since it is located in your personal residence, and therefore illegal?

See why I'm confused? Can someone please educate me?

I tried to just edit my original statement but couldn't figure out how to do that, so I'm reposting basically. sorry.

I realize that I would need to get a commercial zoning variance from the city planner if I did convert the garage into a 2nd kitchen. I guess my original question, better stated, is, will it STILL be illegal to sell baked goods if I do so from a 2nd kitchen in the garage, that I am able to get a zoning variance for? Or at that point, is it legal to sell from that place of business?

Thanks, Barb

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 3

Barbclara - Welcome to CC!

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe that the answers to some of your questions depend on which County you are in in MD. You might want to start with your County health department for some of those answers.

I think that in some counties you can have a 2nd kitchen in your home, as well as some other requirements, and be "legal."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%