How Heavy Are Rkt Apples

Decorating By thecook Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm by Win

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to make a bushel basket of apples. I"ve read how to make the side panels for the basket out of fondant. I want to make the apples out of rkt, but am not sure how to lay them on top. Should I put them on long skewers and push them into the bottom cake board? Maybe I should put them on a seperate board and have support dowels to hold it up. Or are they light enough that I can just lay them on top of the cake? The cake will be a 8" 2 layer. Don't want to mess this up because it is for a cake auction at school. Thanks for your wisdom.

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 5

It depends on how big and how many apples you going to make. RKS isn't really heavy, the only thing that would make it heavier depends on how thick the fondant or gumpaste you use in every apple. It also depends on the cake you are using, pound cakes are so much studier than regular yellow or white cakes, so there are less chances for the apples to sink in. It's really hard to answer this question without all the details but if you want to make sure that the apples don't sink in, then go with the separate board with support dowels.

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:19am
post #3 of 5

Thanks. That was my oringinal idea, but then I thought there might be an easier way to do it.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 5

if you do life size apples you wont need to make many for an 8" cake. how about making them smaller and making them out of the cake ball mixture dipping them in red and green chocolate, and piping a stem and leaves on the top.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 5

And, of course, age old marzipan is another choice. That's all fruit was made of for years and years. RKT will have some bumpiness to them so make sure to coat them well with buttercream if you lay fondant over them. For an 8" basket, I'd scale my apples to about the size of a true "lady apple" which is about 1.5" to 2.5" apple.

edited for typo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%