Decorating An Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By lnvarma Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm by Ballymena

lnvarma Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 2

Hi There,
I wanted to try to make a "cars" themed round stacked cake - I've seen a bunch on here in the gallery - but I wanted to make it an ice cream cake.
Is that a good idea - or too hard bec the ice cream will melt as I am trying to decorate it? If it is "doable" then what type of frosting would I use ?

thanks in advance!
lisa

1 reply
Ballymena Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 2

I do ice cream cakes so it is possible. First of all keep your decorations as uncomplicated as possible. Your working time is minimal. If there is anything you can prepare ahead of time then do it. If you haven't planned out your cake yet then plan it so a lot of the decorations are fondant and you can just stick them on when decorating. To ice the cake I use sweetened whipping cream with instant vanilla pudding added to stabelize it, about 1/2 pkg. of a serving for 4 to 1 pint of cream, I use less for regular whipping cream but want it stiffer for the ice cream cake. The fat and sugar content in the whipped cream will stop it from freezing rock hard which is what you do not want to happen. This is stiff enough for borders and simple detail.
When Icing the cake I do it in front of my freezer. I take it out and start decorating for maybe 10 min., depends on the temp. in your house, put it back for a good 20 minutes, out again, in again until it's done. I haven't ever done a sheet style cake so I'm not sure on your timing for that style, mine are usually 10" diam. by 4-6" high.
Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%