How Much To Charge Please Help!

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 1:16am by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 7

I just had a wierd request, i was asked just to bake and icing a wedding cake the girl wants to supply me with all ingredents and cake pans she usuall bake cakes but due to her directing the wedding and doing the flowers she will not have time to bake and icing the cakes this is going to be a 16,12,10,8 this is my delema im not sure if my oven which is just a reg stove will hold the 16 and what would you charge for doing this i know the lady she works with my daughter shes not really a friend of mine sounds like a big headache but i love wedding cakes but im feeling a little overwhelmed she is adding the flowers with ribbon at the site, just need to know what ya"ll think am i setting my self up for a disaster? and what should i charge thats the main question thanks everyone couldnt do this with out you'all need an anwser ASAP

6 replies
derrcake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 7

I'm a long time baker, but very amatuer decorator. I have only sold one cake. Regardless of what the situation is, I usually follow my gut. I'm up for a good cake challenge, but it looks as though you will face unusual challenges that have little to do with the cake and more with the client. Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best of luck in making your decision.

cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick

I'm a long time baker, but very amatuer decorator. I have only sold one cake. Regardless of what the situation is, I usually follow my gut. I'm up for a good cake challenge, but it looks as though you will face unusual challenges that have little to do with the cake and more with the client. Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best of luck in making your decision.

Thanks , she wasnt aware of the 16in pan possibly not fitting into my oven or her's as well, so im thinking this one out i will be doing all the hard work, the easy part is what shes going to do set it up and put ribbon on it and a few flowers(fresh i think) so i have to really think on this one just wanted to see what everyone else feels right now i think its not to good of a feeling.

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

If she is adding flowers and ribbon, is she also piping on any necessary borders?
I would *maybe* be okay with using the pans that I didn't already own, but I would also want to purchase my own ingredients... It's far too hard to price a cake if half of the stuff is being supplied for you, unless you agree to a flat hourly rate... Say $20/hr???

cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

If she is adding flowers and ribbon, is she also piping on any necessary borders?
I would *maybe* be okay with using the pans that I didn't already own, but I would also want to purchase my own ingredients... It's far too hard to price a cake if half of the stuff is being supplied for you, unless you agree to a flat hourly rate... Say $20/hr???

Yes she is going to add ribbon and flowers i have to add a border to the top tier only and really shes buying all ingredents for the cake and supply me with everything else i will need to do the cakes im so confused i may think about the hourly rate thanks for the info on this

JaimeAnn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #6 of 7

I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole....

It sounds like she doesn't have time to do the cake herself, she wants you to do the hard work , and she can tell everyone she made the cake....

She gets to pick it up, set it up, add some ribbon and flowers and ta-da look at the beautiful cake I made for the bride..

Nope ... No way would I do it...

edited to add... She may be getting paid to do the cake and hiring you to do it cheaper than what her time would require.

cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole....

It sounds like she doesn't have time to do the cake herself, she wants you to do the hard work , and she can tell everyone she made the cake....

She gets to pick it up, set it up, add some ribbon and flowers and ta-da look at the beautiful cake I made for the bride..

Nope ... No way would I do it...

edited to add... She may be getting paid to do the cake and hiring you to do it cheaper than what her time would require.

Well i was told that it was for her neice and she wants me to bring it to her. i kinda know the girl she works with my daughter but im a little hesitant doing this im not feeling it. i think i will give her a price i normally do cakes for and minus the cost of the cakes since she said she would supply them for me, ("

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%