Help W/royal Icing Piping On Fondant Cake

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm by marthajo1

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all- I have searched for this and can't find exactly what I need so maybe some of you can help me....

I am doing a couple of wedding cakes and need to pipe on cornelli lace and swirls. I already warned the brides that when the cakes are cut the RI will likely break and fall off. But is there a way to make it a bit softer. I know I have seen posts in the past about adding glycerine to the RI but how much and does it make it harder to work with?

Thanks for all the help in the past. And I hope someone can help soon with this one as I need to make up the black RI today for this weekend's cake so it can darken up a bit.... (learned that with my RI Eiffel Tower-LOL)

4 replies
marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 5

Okay - I have to make ths soon! I know I haven't been on in a looooonnnnnggggg time..... But won't someone please help me out today....?????????

marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 5

I know I sound really impatient but hasn't someone every piped with royal on fondant???? Do you just do it with regular RI?

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 5

Hi there

I know what you mean about RI breaking off if it's really stiff.

I have piped with 'softened' shop bought fondant before. I put a chunk in a bowl and I add water just a tiny drip at a time , and with my palette knife I blend it until it's soft enough to pipe.

Although it sets on the cake it's not as rock hard as RI

Hope that helps a little, I use this method alot and it's always ok.

Lyndsey xx

marthajo1 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I may have to play with that technique on a family cake before I try it for a wedding! icon_smile.gif but it sounds very interesting....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%