Suggestions For Kids & Cookie Decorating

Baking By bb41 Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 3:55am by cakesmade4u

bb41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bb41 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have an order for 50 easter egg shaped cookies for a local church. They would like to have them iced and let the children decorate them.
Any suggestions of what kind of decorations to provide and what can be used to apply them? The children ages range from 5-12 years old.

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 7

I would get cake confetti, pastel sprinkles or nonpareils, fondant pearls (no dragees), licorice shoestrings (to use for hanging as ornaments). And see if your local supply store has the sugar or royal icing flowers, rabbits, birds.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

Since the cookies will already be iced, I would think an assortment of small candies that the kids can "glue" onto the cookies with some RI would work. Showing the older kids how to pipe a line of icing onto the cookie, then turning the cookie over and pressing the iced line into colored sugar would be an option. Let us know how it goes!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 7

i've actually done a lot of cookies in plain white royal icing and then just let the kids decorate them with edible food markers.

bb41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bb41 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 7

Thank You All for taking the time to respond with your suggestions.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 7

kneadacookie -

Thanks for posting about using edible markers. I never use them, so they completely slipped my mind. I guess it's time to diversify my repertoire (and my tools) a little more.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:55am
post #7 of 7

I posted on this topic I did a class and used frosting and figurings for one then stamps, and some I made a glaze and let them paint the cookies with popsicle sticks and candys then another with the edible markers. And you can have your buttercream in bags to make flowers with or just let them put frosting for a open decoration. Good luck...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%