Fondant Questions

Decorating By mattloaf Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm by creations08

mattloaf Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

ok lets pretend i know nothing about fondant not a stretch cause i dont do people make their own or buy it i want to start playing with it so any info appreciated thanks

4 replies
holly4409 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

I would try MMF (marshmallow fondant). I tried it this past weekend (I had a lot of firsts this past weekend) and I had fun with it! Really, I thought it would be really difficult, but I got the hang of it right away. And it actually tastes pretty good.

i_heart_pastry Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 5

You can make or buy it, depending on your preference. In the recipes section of this site, you'll find recipes for MMF (marshmallow fondant, which is very popular), Michelle Foster's fondant (also very popular) and others. Of the premade fondants, Wilton is the easiest to find in stores, but most people dislike the taste. You can buy other brands on-line at stores like Global Sugar Art or at cake supply stores if you have any locally. Some popular brands are Satin Ice, Pettinice, Choco-pan, to name a few.

Hope that helps!
Bec

bashini Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 5

Ok, if you want to practice making things from fondant, the best thing is to start playing a little with the children's play doug. Then buy Wilton's fondant. Try making things with it. Then add a little bit of Tylose or CMC powder to it and make things with it.

The other thing you can do is, make cakes for your family and cover it with fondant and decorate.

Practice makes Perfect! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Edited to say that I would never make my own fondant because once I tried making it and didn't enjoy. So I would stick to buying fondant. icon_smile.gif

creations08 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

I started out with MMF because it is very easy to make. All you need is a bag of marshmellows, a 2lb bag of P. Sugar, and a few table spoons of water.
At first I really dislike making it because it can get very sticky, but all you have to do is follow the dirrections for making it and you'll be fine.
Also when handling fondant I would recomend to use a thin layer of vegetable shortning on your hands, and on the surface you will be working on.

HTHS

Jessie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%