Freshness - When To Bake Vs Delivery

Decorating By cakeymom Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm by cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

If I am needing a cake for a Sat. but am going out of town on a Thursday I will need to have the cake finished by Wed. night completely.

It will be my poundcake recipe and I would like to torte it (10" round) with strawberry filling. I know I need to make sure that the filling is thick. But, should I have the filling between a light layer of buttercream on each side of the torted layer so that the cake does not get soggy.

But, my main question is - Will this be ok freshness wise??? Of course it will be refrigerated and covered until the event, then brought to room temperature by the hostess of the affair.

I think it will be just fine.

4 replies
SUELA Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 5

I would agree that the freshness would be fine, and it sounds very yummy!

CakeMommy3 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

I think it will be fine too. I don't think that the filling will make the cake soggy, as long as it's a thicker consistency. The one I used has the consistency of jelly, and the cake leftovers we have for a few days don't even get soggy. I bet it would be yummy to add the layer of buttercream though icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 5

As long as you use the sleeved filling or jam or pie filling the cake will not need to be kept in the frig.
I never put b'cream on the layers if using a fruit filling. It makes the layers slip aparticon_sad.gif
And actually the cake would be better off not refrig'd .... that hastens the drying out. Either fz or leave at cool room temp.icon_smile.gif

cakeymom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks All!!!!!

cakeymom icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%