Serving Size Confusion

Decorating By isabow2 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm by PinkZiab

isabow2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

I need to find a serving size chart for occasional cakes, I currently don't do wedding cakes. I found the serving size chart here on CC & the Wilton serving size chart but they are SO different. For instance, the CC chart shows a 10' round w/2 layers giving 38 servings when the Wilton chart shows 28 servings. That's a big difference! icon_eek.gif I found Erlene's chart, but it was for wedding cakes & I really need one that gives serving sizes for sheet cake sizes (9x13, 11x15, etc.) as well as round & square. Can someone point me in the right direction of a serving size chart that they find accurate? TIA!!

5 replies
KookieKris Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry ~ I can't help ~ I think I'm just as confused as you on this one!
I want to watch the topic though for responses

Thanks for asking (for both of us!) icon_razz.gif

CakeDesigns Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, there are a lot of serving charts around they all depend on the serving size you'd like to offer your clientele. Once you decide the serving size either 1", 1x2, 1 1/2 x 2, etc. then pick out the correct chart.

My personal recommendation: If you make cake mix type cakes (where the cakes are airy not dense) then I suggest you use the Wilton party size chart. If you bake dense cakes (madeira, pound cakes, etc.) use the Wilton wedding size chart. If you do fruit cakes then pick the 1" serving chart. If you want to be more generous with the servings use the Earlene one. Hope this helps.

j-pal Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

Different people use different charts depending on the size serving they need. I like Wilton's chart for parties and weddings, but I usually give a "spread" when quoting servings for party cakes. For instance, I'll tell the customer, "a 9x13 will serve 18 - 30 depending on how you cut it. 18 servings if it's a larger size piece, 30 if it's a 2x2 size piece." Then I let them chose whether they want to go with more cake or not. You can make your own chart just by doing the math. To me it's better to give a range, rather than an exact anyway ... someone's sure to come back and complain because your chart didn't match how it was cut! Good luck!

Chef_Stef Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

I agonized over it awhile and decided on the Wilton wedding chart because I do scratch wedding cakes with expensive ingredients, which are always about 4-1/2" deep, and my prices are set by cost of ingredients and time, so I make a certain %. Doesn't matter how they want to cut it.

See how much they cost you to make and what you *need* to charge to make money. Then decide how to break down the pricing.

If you're making 8" rounds and they cost you, say, $20 to make, and you want to have a 65% profit, you'd need to charge $57.14 for that cake (100%-65%=35. $20 / 0.35 = 57.14). If you use the Wilton wedding chart that says an 8" serves 24, you'd need to charge at least $2.38/sv to make 65% (57.14/24). If you use the party chart, you need to charge $2.86/sv (57.14/20). If that makes sense.

PinkZiab Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 6

For pricing purposes, I don't differentiate between "wedding" servings, "party" servings, or otherwise. I have a standard guide I use to determine each cakes serving yield, and price it accord to that guide, period.

Quote by @%username% on %date%