Torting An 18" Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 2:18am by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:58am
post #1 of 12

Any suggestions on torting an 18" cake? How do I life the top piece off without tearing it? I have the regular Agbay for cutting it, but I don't know how to lift the layers off.

Thanks

11 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 12

You can slide a thin cake board under the top layer or a perfectly flat tray, as long as you do not lift with your hands,or if what you have is not long enough,you can use 2 and lift from 2 ends at the same time,it works for me but then again an 18" is a big cake,i hope you can get some help from more experinced ccr's.Good luck.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 12

I have never done it but I have sen where people say to use a cookie sheet or cake board.... worth a try

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 12

When I want to fill a large cake, I just bake 2 thin layers instead of trying to torte.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, I saw that in a bakery. Two thin layers and then she left the top layer in the pan and turned the pan over onto the frosted first layer icon_surprised.gif I was like, 'that's such a good idea!' that way the layers were square and even because of the pan icon_eek.gif Me likey! icon_razz.gif

But in the past I cut (difficult to get even when its that big), used a cake board or thin cutting board slightly bigger than the cake and removed the top layer... but it almost always breaks or has big cracks because of the weight and flexibility during moving.

Best wishes! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 12

Use a cake board or cookie sheet.....chill the cake 1st for maybe 30 min in the fz.
I can;'t remember ever having one break or crack during moving. If the cake is cold that should not be a problem .

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 12

[quote="kakeladi"]Use a cake board or cookie sheet.....chill the cake 1st for maybe 30 min in the fz.
I can;'t remember ever having one break or crack during moving. If the cake is cold that should not be a problem .[/quote

] kakeladi, i dont have any problems separating the layers my problem happens when i try to put the layers together any info on how to do that ? they get uneven and i try to scoot them to where there even

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 12

Yes, just scoot them around. Really they aren't all that delicate. Keep the top part in the fzr until you are ready to put them together. Slide it off the circle or sheet.....Put one edge on the side farthest from you & start wiggling the sheet/circle - pulling it out from under the cake rather than moving the cake.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 12

I say just pray...JK!...lol

I am like the majority...Cookie sheet.. it works great
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Yes, just scoot them around. Really they aren't all that delicate. Keep the top part in the fzr until you are ready to put them together. Slide it off the circle or sheet.....Put one edge on the side farthest from you & start wiggling the sheet/circle - pulling it out from under the cake rather than moving the cake.

Kakeladi thanks i never thought about freezing the top layer do you know if you can add the filling BC to your cakes and freeze them then take them out and let them thaw as usually im trying to learn how to save time and was wondering if it could be done and the bc filling taste good

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #11 of 12

Also...dusting the no edge cookie sheet with powdered sugar helps the cold cake to slide off. icon_smile.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. We did the 18" square today, and plan on the 18" round tomorrow. We ended up using a masonite board, covered in the Press N seal, slid the cake onto that, chilled, then Hubby helped be get it on. It actually worked pretty smooth.

Now we don't know how we will ever carry the monster!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%