Things That Make You Go"hmmmmmm"

Lounge By cakes22 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm by jammjenks

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:57am
post #1 of 16

So I was grocery shopping the other day, and I was buying seedless grapes and oranges. Got to thinking..."How can they keep growing these things if there are no seeds???"

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm"

Anyone know?

15 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 16

I believe they take a cutting of a tree and get it to root.

mkgsweims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkgsweims Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #3 of 16

Seedless grapes, oranges, watermelon, etc. are hybrids of different varieties of seed producing plants. The hybridization of the two different plant varieties masks or turns-off the gene that produces seeds in the "offspring". Just like mules... mules are completely sterile ("seedless") animals and cannot reproduce. So where do mules comes from? Mules are the result of the cross breeding (hybridization) of a horse and a donkey.

Good question!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #4 of 16

When I was in my 20's, my local grocery store ran it's weekly specials. And if they had pork on special, don't even THINK about having chicken that week, because they didn't have any in the entire store!

So on chicken week, they'd have name brand chicken breasts "on sale" (like Tyson or something). Off to the side was the throw-the-chicken-in-a-plastic-bag chicken ... what I called store brand. In the store-brand section was whole chicken, chicken legs, chicken thighs, and chicken wings but no chicken breasts!! The only breasts they had were the "sale" name brand (read EXPENSIVE) ones! Even tho' I was a kid (early 20's), I'm standing thinking "Hmmmmm..... Tyson has chicken that ONLY have breasts .... and some farmer is raising store brand chickens with NO breasts!" Hmmmmmmmm!!

And why do drive-up ATM's have instructions for the blind?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #5 of 16

EXACTLY!!!!!! I've always wondered that myself.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #6 of 16

indydebi wrote:

Lol! Never thought about it!

While we're at it, when I was younger, I asked my Dad why they had to have a bell ring when the gates go down at a railroad crossing. I thought the big red flashing lights and descending gates would be enough. He told me it was so the blind drivers could be warned...... icon_rolleyes.gif (my family has a very sarcastic sense of humor)

Sad thing is, I believed him and didn't get it for years afterward. One day I was stopped at a train and was like "Oooohhhh....." *facepalm*

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:46am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

EXACTLY!!!!!! I've always wondered that myself.

A couple more...

Why is there on/off written on a light switch, when it's on...you can see it's on...when it's off it's to dark to read!

Why are they called a "pair" of pants? Why not a "pair" of legs?

Why is it called a television "set"....you only get one!

I could go on and on! I've collected these sayings for years! Love them!

Gail

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:50am
post #8 of 16

Oh, another one! My SIL asked my brother why there are "bumps" on the steering wheel (you know, where your fingers go) he told her it's Braille for the blind drivers...and she believed him!!! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 16

(Oops! It won't let me edit my above post. I meant to quote her point about the ATM machines, lol)

I've always wondered about the TV set, too!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 16

One of the ladies at work was having trouble with her jeep, I work at the post office and at the time we had to provide our own vehicle. I asked her if she had a four or six cylinder motor, because I might have parts for her, she said she didn't know. My boss walks by and tells her to just count her lug nuts to check, and she believed him!

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 16

I always liked that McDonald's used to have a sign, or maybe they still do, that read, "Picture menus available upon request." How do you know if you can't read that they're an option? icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 16

omg, it's MCDONALDS!!!! We all know the menu! WHo needs to actually READ one!? icon_eek.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #13 of 16

Why is it called lipstick if you can still move your lips?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavors and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

If you can't drink and drive, why do bars have parking lots?

Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called "rush hour"?

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 16

Why do we drive on "parkways" and park on "driveways"?

And why doesn't Buick rhyme with quick??

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 16

Why can't they make the airplane out of the same material they make the little black box?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #16 of 16

Shouldn't we call them "teethbrushes"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%