Will My Tiers Be Mismatched?

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 12:02pm by artscallion

janebrophy Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:34am
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I have a cake due this Saturday and just realized I don't have the pan size I need for the bottom tier! icon_redface.gif
I'm wondering - my square pans have very sharp edges and corners, but I bought them about an hour away....can I just go and get a Wilton pan to quickly make do, or will my tiers look like they don't belong together? The cake will be covered in Fondant....TIA!

5 replies
MayWest Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #2 of 6

If you decide to use the Wilton cake pans, what I would do is cut the sides of the cake just enough to get the sides sharp and straight.

jamiekwebb Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:56am
post #3 of 6

I would think that it would look fine as long as it is the same height and you can fix your edges any way you want when you ice it.

solascakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:57am
post #4 of 6

It will depend on how it is decorated, but i think it will work afterall there are a lot of mixed shaped stacked cakes that look lovely.Good luck.

janebrophy Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 6

Hmmm....I'd better check my cupboards to make sure how deep the pans are! LOL!! Thanks!

artscallion Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 6

I'd do one of two things. I'd either carve the edges of the sharp-edged cake slightly to soften it so it matches the other. Or I'd carve the edges of the softer-edged cake to make them even more rounded, thus providing a true contrast with the other cake.

I find that shapes, sizes, colors, etc in decorating (or most art, for that matter) are just like matching green pants to a green shirt. They either have to be exactly the same, or very different. If they are 'almost' the same, it looks like you tried to match them and failed...or that you just didn't know any better.

Of course there are exceptions to this. Bright white accents on an off white cake can look elegant and subtle. But that's a specific look that's intended to appear that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%