What's The Difference Between....???

Decorating By Niquie Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm by PatricesPieces

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:01am
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I would just like to know if anyone can tell me the difference between the flavors of regular cream cheese icing, and cream cheese butter cream (not a big cream cheese eater), and which one would be best to use on a carrot cake being covered in Michele's Fondant? Any help on this would be great, as I have a cake due this weekend. Thanks.

Ashley

7 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:26am
post #2 of 8

The name may be the only difference. I'm sure not all recipes taste exactly the same, but most of the recipes I have tried taste very similar. There are several recipes in the "recipe" section that you could try. But with carrot cake, I use this recipe from CC. Here is the link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4153-Decorators-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

If you want to try different recipes, just type in cream cheese frosting and see what comes up. I hope this helps.

Patrice

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:52am
post #3 of 8

Cream cheese icing is made with cream cheese.

Cream cheese Butter cream is butter cream icing flavored with LorAnn cream cheese flavoring.

Regular cream cheese icing doesn't always do well under fondant. The cream cheese flavored butter cream is much more stable.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:11am
post #4 of 8

I'm no expert but here is my experience with the two...

I have two cream cheese based recipes that I've used before joining CC (so the recipes are not on here but you can find variations similar) and there is a difference.

The 1st one (which is a Cream Cheese Buttercream) was similar to Serentea's posted link with about 2 lbs of PS, 1 cup of butter & shortening combined and 1/2 lb cream cheese. This one has a texture more like regular BC but with a light cream cheese flavour.

The 2nd one (which is a Cream Cheese Frosting) has an equal ratio of PS, butter and cream cheese - 1 lb each. This one has a stronger cream cheese taste, is a bit more dense & creamy in texture and not as "fluffy" as BC. Also, it usually needs to be refrigerated for quite a while before it will "crust". I've never used this one under fondant as it does not hold it's shape well under the weight of the fondant so doesn't provide a smooth base to cover.

For a carrot cake, taste-wise usually a standard cream cheese frosting is used however, either will work and you may prefer the cream cheese buttercream because of the ligher flavour it gives.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:42am
post #5 of 8

If you are using it under fondant I would go with the cream cheese buttercream it will be more stable and work better

Niquie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:45am
post #6 of 8

Thank you very much. I figured the cream cheese butter cream would be best. I am going to try it. Thanks again!!!

Ashley

Niquie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 8

One more question!

Found the recipe for the "decorator's cream cheese frosting", has anyone ever used this, and how well does it work for designs? I know it is a crusting frosting, but could it be used to make roses and such, maybe even do something like brush embroidery??? Thanks!

Ashley

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 8

Yes...I have. It works great for decorating. If the consistency for roses is not thick enough just add more powdered sugar. If too thick, just thin with some liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%