Iced Cake, Refrigerate Or Not?

Decorating By rhowe7778 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm by rhowe7778

rhowe7778 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhowe7778 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:14am
post #1 of 10

Hello Everybody,
I just wondering which is better for the iced cake, to refrigerate or not? I always want my cake to be soft and I am doubting which is caused of being hard, being refrigerated or not. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 10

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, rhowe7778. icon_smile.gif

If your cake is not frosted or filled with anything perishable, then it's not necessary to refrigerate.

I don't care for cold cake, especially butter cakes because they get very hard. However, some people prefer cold cakes.

The choice is yours! Just the same as choosing your favorite beverage to have with your cake: coffee, tea or milk......

HTH

P.S. You will want to keep the cake (especially after it's sliced) in some type of cake container to keep it from drying out (and dust free).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 10

Not. Definitely not. Unless the cake has a filling that must be refrigerated, the fridge will only dry out your cake.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 10

Interesting... I thought just the opposite! Thanks for the tip! icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 10

If you are refering to left-overs - cut cake - then I keep it in the frig being sure to take it out at least 20-30 min before serving or MW it for maybe 10-15 seconds to warm it up.
Keep it well covered in a plastic bag etc to keep air away from it.

kaityi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaityi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 10

If you have a moist cake recipe or are baking from a mix, and you've got any coat of icing on it at all, protecting it from air exposure it'll be fine. I do it every week, and our cakes stay moist and delicious. Icing is like saran wrap. Also, I personally love cold cake, unless (as previously mentioned) it's got butter in it... in which case, just warm it to room temperature before serving. But definitely run a test with your own recipe to see if it keeps.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 10

I never, ever refrigerate cakes. It dries them out. I store my cakes in airtight containers (like cake carriers) and they stay very, very moist.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 10

I dont like cold cakes!...after they are iced, they stay out..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kaityi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaityi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 10

(I should mention that I use commercial refrigerators, and that all refrigerators are not created equal when it comes to humidity. Yet another reason to run a test in your own conditions.)

rhowe7778 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhowe7778 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everybody for the tips icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%