Food Safe Brushes For Handpainted Cakes

Decorating By Horrorxgirl Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 2:10am by Ballymena

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:09am
post #1 of 11

Ok. I'm new to caking but I've been painting for years. I want to try my hand at handpainted fondant. My biggest problem is the only food safe brushes I've found so far are from Michael's and they are not too far off from the quality of the paintbrushes that come with a kids first watercolor paint set. Not exactly artist quality. I need brushes that have better shapes and substance to them. Anybody have any suggestions? Here is my first try at handpainting fondant and although I'm kinda happy with the results I KNOW I could do way better than this if I just had the proper tools. And while I'm on the subject, so far I've only used color gels and paste by Wilton mixed with clear vanilla for my painting. Any better suggestions? Do they actually make an edible paint for stuff like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/horrorxgirl/3332579948/

10 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:20am
post #2 of 11

Country kitchen sweetArt actually has food safe brushes I believe. Check it out if it works.

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 11

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, I have to say that your painting is excellent!! So I'm giving you a bump cause I've actually wanted to know about this as well. icon_smile.gif

Horrorxgirl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 11

bump

Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:55am
post #5 of 11

MY suggestion isn't good enough? If its not then I don't know what you are looking for.

Horrorxgirl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 11

I did see two brushes they sell on that website. Still haven't gotten an answer about the paint question so I bumped.

Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 11

Oh okay then. Thats the same thought I was thinking about the paint question. They sent me a catalog that says it's used for candy or something....I'm just not too sure.

Other than that, hope you find the brush. You are very skilled in painting.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 11

I thought fondant painting was done with gel colors or airbrush colors. If using Gel colors use straight from the bottle/container or mix with vodka/extract to get the consistency you need. I could be wrong.

As for the brushes, why couldn't you use any natural bristle artist brushes? Wash them with dish soap or non toxic soaps. Wouldn't that work?

Rylan Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #9 of 11

As for the nautral bristle artist brush, I believe she prefers to have something that is actually meant for food (which I would prefer too). Because you will never know if there are any toxic chemicals used to attach the bristles. I don't think it could kill anyone but people like me personally prefer something that is food safe.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #10 of 11

I use nylon bristle brushes and don't worry about it.

There are many things we use that aren't labeled "food safe" - the paint rollers used in Melvira's roller technique, the spackle/putty knives used for icing cakes smooth, etc. Many people put their cakes on wooden or melomine cake boards which aren't labeled as "food safe".

I'm more concerned with keeping my kitchen "food safe" (clean) and keeping my hair out of my cakes (it seems to get everywhere)! LOL!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #11 of 11

I agree with OhMyGanache, love that name. I use sable paint brushes, new of course. I don't see how the glue used to fasten the hairs onto the brush, which is covered well with metal, could get into the food color. Wash it with soap and rinse it well in water and then sterelize vodka if you have any doubt of it's cleanliness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%