Black Fondant?

Decorating By nicolesprinkle Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm by MacsMom

nicolesprinkle Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #1 of 14

How do I make my fondant black? It is purple!!!

13 replies
blueberrycheesecake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 14

from what i've gathered, make a chocolate fondant and then you can add Americolor Super Black to make it black.

lindambc Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:32am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrycheesecake

from what i've gathered, make a chocolate fondant and then you can add Americolor Super Black to make it black.

I agee with blueberry...I have to make some tomarrow, so I will let you know how it turns out. Since I never can get anything black enough, I usually order black Satin Ice fondant.

madgeowens Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:34am
post #4 of 14

I heard it was chocolate mmf and then add the black coloring

MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:35am
post #5 of 14

Start with a jar of black powdered food color... wait, are you making your own, like MMF?

Anyway... and then add some gel black food color. The powder will disintegrate as the fondant rests, so the color will deepen and kneading will get rid of any tiny black spots.

Using powdered food color keeps it from getting sticky and odd-textured.

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 14

For black fondant I get out my bucket of pre-colored black Satin Ice. The ONE time I tried to color white fondant black I ended up with a gooey mess. The same for red. Or if I need a large amount of any color, the pre-colored is the way to go!

nicolesprinkle Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 14

I'm making my own MMF! But I have never made chocolate before! What kind of chocolate does everyone recommend? Should I also add brown coloring with the black?

pipe-dreams Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 14

Even though it looks purple-ish now, once you get it on the cake it will look black. I had the same problem with my diesel 10 cake, but since they expected black, that's what it looked like. It just looks purple because you've seen the different stages of coloring and the different shades! I just bought satin ice black, and I'll never tint white fondant again..but I'm sure yours will be ok. thumbs_up.gif

millermom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 14

If you really want a true black, Satin Ice is the only way to go. icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 14

Another option, if you just need black for accents, is to paint the fondant. You can use either gel coloring or black petal dust mixed with vodka or lemon extract. If you look at the Cars cake and the black & white painted cake in my pics, I painted the black accents on. It was much quicker than making a batch of black fondant. The Cars cake is black gel thinned with vodka and the floral cake is black petal dust mixed with vodka. The soccer cake is Satin Ice colored with Americolor black.

Bec

luv_to_decorate Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 14

There is a recipe on here for True Black MMF. It uses chocolate semi-sweet chips melted in it. I made it last week to put on the guitar hero cake I did for my grandson. I just added some black gel color to it and it was a dark grey/black. After it rested over night and I put it on the cake it became a perfect black. I made chocolate buttercream to go under it. Everyone loved it.
LL

cylstrial Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrycheesecake

Yep, that is the way to make it happen. Personally, I'd just rather buy black fondant.

Rosie2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 14

Black and red I buy it---Satin Ice at Global Sugar Art....when I tried I never got true black/red.
Good luck!

MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 14

In my photos, the most recent cake is the sushi cake I made. I painted the entire thing in black food color mixed with vodka over white MMF.

There isn't an easier way than that, but it will leave a shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%