Woud You Trade Or Barter Cakes?

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm by christeena

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #1 of 43

I have been asked to trade services or several occasions...but this is the first time I have been offered a delivery van!!
I have a large wedding cake coming up and the dad lost his job...but he would like to pay with a delivery van! It is used and in very good condition and he has all the service records. I am seriously considering this, would you do it?

42 replies
hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 43

Wow! How big is the cake? I saw an "Ace of cakes" episode the other day when they trade a cake for a bunch of blue chairs.
It does sound like a good deal, if you deliver a lot.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:31am
post #3 of 43

Find out how much it will cost to insure and how much gas it guzzles!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:25am
post #4 of 43

Yes I would lol. If everything checked out, and he handed over the title...I would do it.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:59am
post #5 of 43

I would barter in a HERTBEAT - on a smaller scale than discussed aboove, though -- a few hours to help clean winter brush out of my spring garden, painting the garage door, painting my kitchen...on and on!!!
ANyone?? icon_cry.gif
LOL

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:10am
post #6 of 43

Wow - that sounds like it could be a good deal...I would consider if you really need it fir deliveries, and if the answer is yes, I'd go for it!
Good luck!!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:20am
post #7 of 43

Bartering is what people used to do back in the day to survive. It's a great way for everyone to get what they need by sharing what they have or are good at.

If I could get a ceiling in my family room in exchange for a cake... man, I'd be all over that!!!

The biggest question is, "do you need a van"? If you don't need it, can't afford to insure it, don't have a place to store it, or it needs work, then it will end up costing you. But if you wanted to get a delivery van anyway... could be a blessing.

Let us know how it works out.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:27am
post #8 of 43

Awwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, now there is a Dad who would do anything for his daughters happiness.

If you can drive and handle it (depending on the size) i think its a brillante idea.
The way the world economy is, i truley believe Bartering will become very popular again.

lizamlin - you are toooo funny. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Altho something tells me you aren't joking.... icon_confused.gif
At the moment i would swap a cake for 8 straight hours sleep - and a cuppa on the bedside table when i opened my eyes.
Think i got more sleep when my children were babies than now - why is that - and we are empty nesters - go figure..... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 43

Wow, great deal! Yes I would and I have. I bartered with my beautician before. I did her husband's 40th birthday party, she cut and colored my hair.

I am hoping I can barter with someone that is handy - a wooden cupcake tower for whatever they want because I want one made that bad.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 43

Like has been mentioned up thread, commercial insurance is crazy expensive, and yes be sure to get the title.

Sure, great idea. What a cool Daddy!!!

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 43

I've bartered for much smaller things, but the Van sounds great!! I'd be all over that if its in pretty good condition and wouldn't be a hassel for you.
And I 2nd Bluehue, that sounds like a great dad!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 43

Absolutely! Right now, my friend is creating my web site in trade for a cake from me. As expensive as it can be to create a website, it may be several cakes!!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #13 of 43

Yep, I have no problem doing this. I did a cake for a guy who did landscaping and I had a yard issue so we traded.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 43

I havent't bartered any cakes. But that does sound like a great idea.
I'm a licensed cosmetologist and have bartered haircuts for other services. icon_smile.gif and I do need a few things fixed around the house. hmm who do I know???? icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 43

If I were in business, I would definitely consider bartering, especially for big jobs or items.

A member of another forum I belong to just bartered baked products in exchange for some work she needed done at her house.

There's even a free website which specializes in bartering, trading and exchanging goods, etc.

http://www.u-exchange.com/bartering

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 43

I would take the van. If it needed work I would sell it for $1000. I bartered a cake and some cookies and in exchange my daughter is going to ballet school for free. The classes are $40 per month and I made the owner some cookies so far and plan on making a cake for the dance recital at the end of the year. It works for me because I dont have to worry about ballet classes for now.

jlsheik Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 43

Thanks for all the great replies!! I open my shop next week on the 1st and I have the total owed for cakes at around 1000$ So I may end up owing him money!!
It is a small mini cargo van and it is made for deliveries. I have been a home baker and my business has exploded and sometimes it would have been nice to have one...I guess I will have to way all the odds and extra expense involved. It just seems everyone has their hand out for money, not sure I want to take anymore debt on right now!!!
I will let everyone know the outcome!
Laura

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #18 of 43

Heck yes, I would take the guy up on his offer, if I needed the van and everything was legal, inspected, and all that.

I have bartered a cake a month for a year for a custom 180 gallon saltwater reef aquarium that was in the $2000 range. Crazy.

I wish I could find a hairdresser that would barter!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 43

I just bartered a Chanel purse cake for the cutest little chihuahua puppy! He has AKC papers and everything!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 43

Count me in! I would love to barter with someone who is handy around the house. Not that my hubby isn't, but we don't have many tools, and he is the biggest procrastinator!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

and he is the biggest procrastinator!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Haha, I think we're w/the same guy!! icon_razz.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #22 of 43

I am the queen of bartering.
1.I barter w/ the movie manager across the street cookies for movie tickets.

2.I bartered for my new AC unit in the bakery. Gift certificates for him to give to clients and employees.

3.I barter with all my ad salesmen. Trading ads for goodies or gift certificates for sales incentives.

4. I bartered with my walking cooler and freezer installers for gift baskets for their clients for christmas.

5. my babysitter will trade out babysitting for cakes or goodies.

Paying for things with food is better than cash because you are only paying food cost not full cost. I am always looking for people who are willing to barter.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:25pm
post #23 of 43

I did a wedding cake for a friend back in August. They own a gravel company and it just so happened that I needed gravel! So I swapped them half cash (needed the money for ingredients) and half gravel. Being our friends I stayed and cut/served the cake for free and they smoothed and rolled the gravel for me at no charge! Bartering can be great if you're all on the same page as to what's included.

And a van! Well, if you need it and want it then go for it (so long as the title is clear and all that.)

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #24 of 43

Wow I too would love to find someone to barter with... painting, remodeling, planting.... etc. Sounds like a great deal as long as everything is on the up and up

jlsheik Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #25 of 43

I love all these replies!! The fish tank is just cracking me up!! I actually am bartering to pay of my dental bill...I do cinnamon rolls and cakes for office meetings and cakes for the ladies birthdays and I have not had to pay on my bill for months! ;o)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #26 of 43

It's a little bit funny, how, 100 years ago, bartering, especially in more rural areas, was one of the main exchanges of trade and commerce. Now, here we are, a century later, reviving a tried-and-true business technique.

I think it's wonderful, and hope the trend continues to grow. It actually brings people closer together, via person-to-person communication and mutual need.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #27 of 43

Heck yeah!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #28 of 43

isabow-I just have to tell you I think you Avatar is so funny. My DH and I just started watching that show, and it seems like every other episode he says that. icon_lol.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #29 of 43

I have! So far I've bartered a simple birthday cake for a beautiful red coral hand beaded ID lanyard, another simple cake for a lunch gift certificate at a posh restaurant and another cake for a bunch of books. Fun!

bellalex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellalex Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:43am
post #30 of 43

I love to barter! I bartered for my bathroom to be redone with a friend who is a handyman. I am doing my hairdresser's daughter's wedding cake in December, so this year's worth of hair cuts and coloring are bartered. I have bartered for pedicures and even daylilly flowers for my yard. I have friends who tell me they wish they had a skill they could barter with. It's the best way to go, for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%