How Do You Get The Powdered Sugar Off The Fondant?

Decorating By kutabby Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm by too_nice_to_slice

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #1 of 10

Maybe I use too much, very well could be! But I am having a terrible time getting my cakes clean when I've got them completed. The more I work to get the powdered sugar off, the more I risk messing up all my work! I especially notice it when I have cut outs that I've attached - the pwd sugar clings to the sides of the cut out. I work only w/ MMF, so maybe that's it. Or maybe I'm just being to critical icon_smile.gif Any help would be great!
Tabby

9 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 10

I use a pastry brush very gently to brush the powder away.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #3 of 10

I dont use powdered sugar to roll the fondant, I use corn starch. Anyway it still kinda clings but not as much, but I airbrush on some vodka. It works great. It evaperates.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 10

You can also take a paper towel and apply a very LIGHT application of shortening to get the ps off. It looks shiny at first, but the shortening will absorb into the fondant and it won't be shiny anymore.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 10

Ditto newmansmom! I learned that trick from SugarShacks videos!

newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Ditto newmansmom! I learned that trick from SugarShacks videos!

LOL - that's where I learned it, too!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 10

I use corn starch, but since I use my hand instead of a plastic fondant smoother to smooth my cakes, it pretty much buffs off any residue that's left. Also, all of my cakes get airbrush with a layer of shimmer at the end, so that takes care of any stubborn spots.

newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use corn starch, but since I use my hand instead of a plastic fondant smoother to smooth my cakes, it pretty much buffs off any residue that's left. Also, all of my cakes get airbrush with a layer of shimmer at the end, so that takes care of any stubborn spots.

Have you ever used just vodka in your airbrush to get rid of any residue on a fondant cake? I had seen the staffers doing this on Ace of Cakes and wondered why they were giving a final coat of vodka so I e-mailed and asked them! Lo and behold I get a response from Mary Alice and she says they do that to get rid of any powdered sugar/corn starch on the final cake. They use a lot of pre-colored fondant so if they're not doing a final coat of color on the fondant they'll use the vodka to clean it up.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 10

I went to my first fondant class last weekend and they said to use vodka in a spray bottle on fine mist and be sure to do it lightly.

Questions - Will clear Vanilla do the same???
Has anyone ever had a problem with it colors running???

cakeymom

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 10

I roll out on PS and use my steamer to get my cakes clean. I didn't discover this until like three cakes or so ago, but it works like a charm. I don't know if it would do the same for cornstarch, I've only used that once, and only because I wasn't in my own kitchen and that's what they had available to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%