Wilton Wonder Mold - Help!

Decorating By heygirl658 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 4:17am by chrstmaskd

heygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heygirl658 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 8

I am making a Barbie cake for my niece's 5th Birthday party this weekend. I have the Wilton Wonder Mold &, to save myself a few headaches, am trying to use boxed cake mix to create the dress.

I have tried (and failed) twice...

First try: 2 boxes Funfetti cake mix, 350F for 40 mins (according to wonder mold instructions). After 60 minutes at 350F and 20 minutes at 250F, I had a cooked, but well done on the edges, cake. It also fell & wasn't quite the height I had hoped for.

Second try: 2 boxes Funfetti cake mix, 250F for 2 hrs 30 mins. I got the idea from someone on the Internet to cook at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time. Result: Cooked, less well done, but fell even more than the first one. Before it fell, it rose & filled the pan and even overflowed. Now Barbie's skirt is sort of like a mini skirt icon_sad.gif

So if anyone can tell me the secret to success when using the Wilton Wonder Mold, I would really appreciate it!!! The party is Saturday, so I am planning to try one more time (Tomorrow night) before I have to make the real thing.

Thanks!!

7 replies
staceyzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyzcakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 8

I have this pan and have used it several times. Are you putting the rod in the middle of the pan? It will help with getting it done. Also, are you using a pound cake recipe? You really need a dense cake with this pan and I have found it does take a little longer to bake than what the directions say. Sorry I can't be more specific or more helpful than that. Good Luck!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 8

I've made this cake a few times and have not had any trouble. I followed the directions that came with the pan, measuring out the recommended amount of cake batter, baking at the rec. temp and for the rec. time, and you must use the heating core to be successful. GOOD LUCK!

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8

I have used this a few times and I like it but it doesnt seem to cook high enough for a barbie thats why in my picture of the barbie cake I laid that cake on top of an 8 inch round cake. It made it high enough for the barbie. I bought a new barbie for my niece and raped its legs in plastic wrap and cat a whole in the cake for her legs. It sounds like your cooking it right but you might want to try coking it at 325.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 8

I've made a "Barbie" cake without the wonder mold and just used a normal Baribie doll. The doll was taller than my cake so I just ripped her legs off and stuck the torso in the cake.
If you don't have enough height, it could be an option for you! That, or add a round cake on the bottom to get that extra few inches.

Good luck!!!

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #6 of 8

I've made this several times also. If you want to use a real Barbie you will have to bake another round cake to go under it. You only need one mix for the wonder mold pan. I think that using two mixes is what is causing your not being fully cooked and falling issues. Hope that will help....
Karon

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 8

i also use this pan at times.. i make a denser cake batter.. even using the box mix.. use an extender mix... something like the wasc.. or just adding pudding to the mix you used.. of course the rod in the middle.. and i also bake an extra 8" round cake for the extra hight. i bake at 325 and yes it takes a little longer.. i just trim off any extra. after it is done and cool.. i am usually pleased with the results..hth

chrstmaskd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrstmaskd Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #8 of 8

I have made a few doll type cakes in the Wonder Mold pan. I mix 2 box mixes together (I sift the mix prior to combining everything), put the rod in the pan (very important), and fill the pan about 3/4 full (you will have some batter left over but you can use it to make a batch of cupcakes if you don't want to throw it away). I bake at 335 for about 1hr. I found that by sifting the box mixes I get more height in the cake and with the pan being about 3/4 full the cake bakes up a little past the rim to give me the full skirt I am looking for. When all else fails I too have been known to rip off a set of Barbie legs to get the proportions correct. Hope this helps, good luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%