Insane Amount Of Bubbles In Buttercream. Halp!

Decorating By evasmama Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 4:37am by gerripje

evasmama Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 7

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've used 2 different recipes for buttercream, both with PS. I thought I was adding the PS slowly enough, but every time I make a batch, there's a ridiculous amount of air bubbles that take forever to smash out. I can never get my cakes smooth enough and my arm is sore from folding with a rubber spatula.

I'm using a 6 qt. KA mixer with the paddle. One recipe was from Sweet Sue (forgot exact user name) and the other one is from SeriousCakes.

Help me please!

6 replies
sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 7

try mine for the 6 quart and watch this video to help:

3 lbs sweetex (usse a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuing cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffe mate liquid

cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer durning this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

gerripje Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

I make SeriousCakes buttercream all the time and I used to get lots of bubbles. I found that if I made sure the butter and shortening were creamed really really well and then had the whipping cream at least room temp. if not a little warm helped. Then transferring it into another container and leaving it sit awhile. That's my weird process! It took me a few times of making it, but it's my favourite.

Recently, I was lucky enough to have some Sweetex sent to me by a very nice lady in Montana and I made SugarShack's BC for the first time. Oh my gosh is it ever smooth and was just as beautiful as could be! It went on the cake like a dream.

Alas, I won't get too attached as it's not easy or cheap for me to get hi-ratio shortening!!

mygirlssweet Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 7

I get the same results for Sugarshacks recipe with generic shortening. I bought no-name hi-ratio and had more bubble than I knew what to do with. Used a store brand shortening, perfect!

evasmama Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

3 lbs sweetex (use a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuring cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffee mate liquid

I guess I should mention that I only bake for friends and family- anywhere from 1-4 cakes a month. And I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to butter-free "buttercream." icon_wink.gif

sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

3 lbs sweetex (use a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuring cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffee mate liquid

I guess I should mention that I only bake for friends and family- anywhere from 1-4 cakes a month. And I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to butter-free "buttercream." icon_wink.gif

you can sub some of the shortening for butter with no problem!

gerripje Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #7 of 7

I didn't think I'd like just shortening BC either, but Sharon's recipe with Sweetex is yummy! I make cakes for family and friends too, so it wouldn't be worth the heart ache to me to get Sweetex all the time, and have been told the stuff we get here is not that good.
I used princess cake and cookie emulsion and anything with coffee mate is good to me! (I'm the weirdo that eats coffee mate by the spoon full straight out of the container icon_redface.gificon_eek.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%