Please Help - Suggestions Needed

Decorating By lexi55033 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 12:23am by kakeladi

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride that is absolutely in love with a cake that has silver dagrees all over it. The problem is, she doesn't want dagrees because they are so hard. She would rather have something softer that is edible and doesn't have to be picked off. Is there anyway to do this? I was thinking of making fondant pearls in various sizes and rolling them in alcohol/silver dust. Do they even make pearl molds this small? Does this seem crazy? Any suggestions or ideas would be wonderful!!

I'll try to add the photo as an attachment so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks so much!

Angie

[/img]
LL

6 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 7

wow!!! that cake is stunning!!!! How beautiful... and tiime consuming!!! Wow again!!!

I guess you could make the fondant pearls and pearl dust them. That would sure be alot but I am at a loss for how else to do it. I know she wants the "shiny" effect of the dragees...

Here's hoping someone will pop in and help. I too would be curious what someone else has to say.... the cake would be beautiful to recreate

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 7

You won't be able to get the fondant pearls that shiny but otherwise it can be done. I don't envy the work though! Charge alot...because even with dragees it would be time consuming...with that many handmade pearls it will take you forever. Consider that as you charge!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 7

You could do that, but I would hope that you would charge her out the butt to make all of those... You are talking easily 2,000 to 3,000 little beads for a moderately sized cake.

With that being said, yes you can, but they wont exactly look quite as shiney as the dragees. They will be a duller more matte silver color, as long as the bride understands this, then go for it! Just start early!

I also think that you can buy pearl molds quite small (I havent ever looked for one this small though), but I am not sure that it would really be worth it to stuff fondant into such small little holes. You could either make them by hand out of fondant or you could use white chocolate. Melt, pipe into your molds, and then unmold and silverize.

In essence, yes its possible but a pain in the rear to make so many. Tell her it would be cheaper for her to go with the dragees. Its a beatuiful cake though.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 7

I love that cake! I would go the route you're suggesting. I've never seen a mold for individual pearls but I make tiny flowers and such alot and I just throw them in a tupperware along with some luster dust and give them a gentle shake or two and it works perfectly. Good luck with the cake!

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 7

I haven't seen a mold for individual pearls, but I was thinking a graduated pearl one, then cutting them apart. That's the only thing I could think of. That or making silver royal if that's possible and piping dots all over.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:23am
post #7 of 7

I don't know how small they come out but polymer clay supplies has a tool for bead and teardrop shapes. They are small but I don't think small enough for this. Might look thru places like Hobby Lobby etc.
As you sit in front of the t.v. you can be making theseicon_smile.gif It's a mindless task really. If you want to ensure they are all the same size it will take a bit more work. You would need to roll the fondant out to an even thickness then use different sized round tips to cut out 1,000s of them before rolling them into balls.
To ensure they remain round place the rolled balled on a thick pad of several papers folded for them to dry overnight.
I'm not sure if they will hold up to shaking in a mix of vodka/dust but you can try it before you spend all your energy on making 1,000s. If it works - the balls don't dissolve/fall apart in the liquid, and you don't get a good enough coverage, then I would put them still wet into some dry dust. I think working in small amounts - like a dz or two beads at a time in the dust is what one is going to have to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%