Please Help Me Keep My Flower Garden Beautiful!!!???

Lounge By TonyaBakes Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 11:28am by Deb_

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 12

I have put alot of back breaking work into my flower gardens. It's a never ending project (as most are). We live a little ways out in the "country" and I love it. You can see so much, love all the little critters running around but the moles and rabbits are insane. If you have any suggestions on what I can do to keep the moles and rabbits outta my flowers I would be so grateful!!! I don't want to hurt the poor little things but I would love to be able to see my lilies bloom atleast once or keep a mole from tunneling through one of my hostas tearing the leaves off! LOL! It's a love hate relationship! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 12

Get a cat............. icon_biggrin.gif Really though my 12 yr old cat is so funny with moles. She sits in the garden and reaches her front arm way down deep into the mole holes trying to pull them out. She's pretty successful. icon_lol.gif

We never use pesticides because of our cats, but one thing I do is scatter human hair (virgin hair, which means not permed or color treated) in my garden and it keeps the deer, rabbit, moles etc away. I own a hair salon so it's pretty easy for me to get it. I have had people come in for a haircut and request that they take their hair home with them for their gardens.

The human scent keeps the critters away. Squirrels are not deterred though, they still eat my tulip bulbs like they're eating an apple! UGHHH icon_mad.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #3 of 12

I have heard that if you dig a hole and line it with chicken wire then dirt, the moles cannot get through. For the rabbits, you might try moth balls. They are suppose to deter cats, so maybe they work on rabbits.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 12

Some little stinker has been eating my tulips, too! Grrrr.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 12

Michellenj, maybe it's Tiny Tim just tiptoeing through them. LOL

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 12

You can go to a hunter store and ask them what you can use to scare the critters.

I've heard that they sell urine from predator animals that you can spread around. That will keep them away.

HTH

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 12

when moles tried to invade our garden we just popped one of those musical birthday cards down the hole covered it up with soil and have never had a problem since

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #8 of 12

I live in western Nebraska and we have oodles of gophers and they are death on all my bulbs. For flowers that don't mind "wet feet", like tulips, I dig an old 5 gallon bucket down in the ground with some little holes poked in the bottom and sides for drainage(finger size or smaller). Yes you have to dig a bigger hole, but trust me - no diggers can get at them!!

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

when moles tried to invade our garden we just popped one of those musical birthday cards down the hole covered it up with soil and have never had a problem since

MissBaritone your funny!

Sorry I can't help with the problem, but good luck with it..

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #10 of 12

Thank you all so much for the tips and info... All of my lily and hosta plants are breaking the ground so the battle is about to begin!! LOL! My hubby came up with a suggestion for the rabbits. He said hang a pie plate from a string and even a soft breeze would be enough for it to move around and make noise. He said that's something critters can't stand (hopefully)! I think for the moles I will try the musical B-day card, lol! I would have never thought of it but I think if it worked for you MissBaritone that it just might work for me too! LOL Thanks everyone!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:41am
post #11 of 12

Definately works. It was a tip we saw in one of these womens magazines. We were doubtful as to how effective it would be but it really did work

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:28am
post #12 of 12

It must be the vibration from the music? I've seen "mole vibrators" at Home Depot. (not the kind you guys think, heheheh) I guess vibration drives them crazy since they can't see or hear. They sure do a lot of damage for something that little that can't see or hear. Ughhh icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%