Decorating By bellalex Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm by giggysmack

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

K8 - I respectfully, but completely disagree with you. The "threat" I mentioned was simply following through on legal action to collect a debt by filing a civil suit. If you had read my answer you would see that I was not suggesting anything except to file a civil suit to collect payment.

Interesting that you noted how important it is to read one's entire post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

K8 - I respectfully, but completely disagree with you. ...

... it's low class and rude, to say the least. I'm not a trouble maker and I never will be! In many of my jobs past it was frowned upon to get personal phone calls at work and I doubt it's much different today, especially in this economy when people are looking for reasons to trim their payroll.

Tammi, it is not respectful to say my ideas are low class and rude.
I will not let you have it both ways.

It is not ok to talk to me this way.

Look K8 - I'm sorry you are reading attitude in my posts. I am simply stating my opinion and you disagree with it. I stated that I thought actions of phoning someone at work to collect a debt is low class and I stand by it. I would NEVER allow one of my employees to discuss personal debt at work. They are here to work for ME, who is paying them. They can deal with personal problems outside of work. Why you have to personalize my opinion as an attack on your ideas is not my problem. I am not speaking to you in any tone but very mater of factly instead.

So, instead of reading into my statements and interjecting emotion to suit your reaction why not actually try to see my point of view and realize that neither you, nor I know everything - that's why people have different opinions. You believe what you believe and I will continue to believe what I believe. I think we should both agree to disagree and leave it at that...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:09pm
post #32 of 54

You can call someone to your hearts content at home, then again some states only allow you to call a person to collect money once a day. All this veries from state to state. But heres the thing about calling someone at work. It can be construed as harrassment (which is illegal even if they do owe you money), you can get the person fired (and bosses do fire people when they get too many personal calls or bill collector calls, especially in these times were they are looking to get rid of people), which then leaves yourself opened up to YOU getting sued and for a lot more money then $30 bucks. I am not saying it's wrong to call anyone at work, would I do it, no. But its not unprofessional (unless your acting unprofessional on the phone, and you can do that calling them anywhere), but calling someone at work does come with some risk. I just thought I'ld point that out. Oh yeah, and I do hope you get your money, I really do. icon_smile.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #33 of 54

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. My two cents for what it's worth (it's worth just that, two cents, to be exact icon_biggrin.gif ) is that this was a learning experience for you. I would chalk up the $30 loss and just know to never leave a cake for anyone without getting paid for it. I would lose more money in wasting my time trying to go after this woman and hunt her down for the money than the $30 I would collect from her.

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #34 of 54

I say (for what its worth) you should reach her by whatever means you have (you said you didn't have a mailing address so sending a letter is not an option) and request payment in a professional manner. I think people need to be called out for things like this. I know the size was a miscommunication, but like others have said, "she ate what she ordered", so she should pay for that. Letting her just get away with it would be doing yourself right. Let us know how things turn out!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #35 of 54

One of my first bigger orders I allowed the lady to pay me the remaining balance upon delivery. She asked, with a laugh, what happened if she didn't pay, I told, with a laugh, I have a big family - they'll eat your cake. Since been a good customer since.

Next time someone orders, make sure you get payment ahead or DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT THE MONEY! I will stick around until I get my money. If they don't have it or say 'someone's bringing it in an hour' tell them, okay, I'll take the cake and call me when the money is here.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #36 of 54

I have to agree with K8 on this one. If the only contact information she gave you is her work number, then that's the number you use to contact her for payment. If she didn't want you to contact her there, she should not have given you the number.

What is low class and rude is accepting an order (which she basically did when she went ahead and ate the cake) and thinking you don't have to pay for it. I would send her an invoice once a week at her work place, and call her once a week. If she tells you not to call her at work, ask her for a home number where you can call her so you can discuss her unpaid bill.

I could care less if someone who owes me money gets fired because her employer doesn't like her getting calls at work. There's an easy solution to that problem. She pays her debt and you stop calling. SHE IS NOT THE VICTIM HERE. She can resolve this easily.

This kind of thing makes my blood boil. Sure, it's only $30, but it's also a matter of principle. People like her depend on people like you not being willing to make a fuss.

That said, NEVER, EVER leave a cake without getting payment. If she wasn't there to accept the cake and pay me, I would have left my contact number and taken the cake home. You didn't owe it to her to leave the cake without being paid. And trust me, the poor little kids who would have been so disappointed that there was no cake would have lived.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #37 of 54

You don't have to care about getting someone fired, but if you are the cause of someone getting fired, they can sue you.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #38 of 54

I agree with K8 also. If the woman is worried about losing her job then she just needs to pay the bill. It is up to the customer to decide if she is willing to risk her job over a cake.

It might JUST be $30 dollars to the customer, so she might not see it as a lot, but it is $30 dollars to the cake decorator, which to some is a lot. One is out product while the other is not.

If she can't pay she should not have ordered.

I say call her, she is the one in control of whether she is at risk or not, and if that is the only info as to where to reach her then that is her mistake not yours.

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #39 of 54

LaBellaFlor, I do not believe that is true. On what basis? I worked in the Human Resources field for 32 years, and I will tell you that an employee can sue an employer for wrongful termination, but I seriously doubt that they could sue you for calling them at work to collect a debt when that's the contact information they gave you, as long as your collection process is consistent with state laws already mentioned here (so you are not guilty of harassment).

If you are conscientious about asking for an altermative place to call or send correspondence, and you document that, then you've shown good faith in trying to pursue a legitimate debt without bothering someone at work.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #40 of 54

Absolutely, if you have no other contact info. you are well with in your rights to keep contacting them at work. I was refering to if you do have other contact info. & you keep calling their job. If you constantly get calls at work that are not work related, your boss can see that as you not doing your job, as well as counter productive to the work place. All this veries from state to state of course. But let me tell you as far as "Right to Work" state such as Virginia or Arizona. It is very easy for an employer to terminate your employment with out just cause, I have seen it happen here in VA. The thought it is you choose to work here, we choose to employ you, you can choose not to work here anytime you want, & we can choose not to let you work here anytime we want. The biggest thing that comes to question when you are let go is if you get unemployment. Most people I know don't. As far as someone sueing you, cause you cause them to lose their job, behind calling, yes, I've seen that too. My aunt's an attorney in California & she has seen it happen.

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #41 of 54

LaBellaFlor, the concept you refer to is not "right to work", it is called employment at will, or at-will employment, and it means that either the employer or the employee can end the employment relationship at any time with or without cause. And you are correct that an employer can terminate an employee for taking too many personal calls (although that would not be without cause).

The concept of "right to work" has to do with employees having a right to work for an employer that has a union without being required to join the union. Something entirely different.

I know that doesn't have anything to do with this post, but it's a mistake in terminology that a lot of people make, and as an old HR person I feel compelled to clarify. : )

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #42 of 54

I'm not sure California is a very good example of what normally happens with lawsuits. California is notorious for being litigious, and it has many very employee friendly employment laws that are not typical of the rest of the country.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

I do that size for £50 i.e $73.

and IMHO that's not enough either! I looked at your photos and seeing as you do mainly fondant work, you should be charging more than that! I'm doing a 9x13in fondant cake for Sunday with chocolate transfer decoration, and that'll be 95 euros please! To the OP, I couldn't even do that cake for $30 in ingredient cost! WOW. I never leave a ckae without full payment first, my DH has had to wiat on more than one occasion for people to go to the ATM or he watches them make an online bank transfer, and I don't care!!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I'm not sure California is a very good example of what normally happens with lawsuits. California is notorious for being litigious, and it has many very employee friendly employment laws that are not typical of the rest of the country.

Hey Ruth, I was following some of the arguments on this thread and have a question for you since you are an HR person icon_smile.gif :

I used to get bill collectors call once or twice a day for sales reps at an old company I worked at. Someone once told me through the "rumor-mill" that if you tell the bill collector that they cannot call their place of business anymore, they had to stop. I want to say that this is right, isnt it? I ask because, it seems the collectors would put that note in their systems and many times I would stop getting calls from that collector for that person.

I guess what I am asking is: Once a bill collector is told it is a "place of business" for their collectee, they have to stop calling there, or it is harrassment, right?

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #45 of 54

Yes, I know we have GREAT employee friendly laws in California. Ah, those were the good ol' days. HR in Virginia goes above & beyond to protect the employer, I think even you would be horrified by the unfairness of it all.And I'll let everyone know the proper term, cause EVERYONE here says "Right to Work". icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #46 of 54

It stinks that you delivered a cake without payment........that's true, but all this talk about civil suits and phone calls at work are a moot point if you are not a licensed baker.

So are you? If you're not then you're out $30 because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to bring that status to the court's attention.

If you are licensed and own a legal cake business you need to ask yourself if $30 is worth this stress. I'm sure you've learned a pretty tough lesson with this one and that is "no money, no cake."

If you're legal, send an invoice certified mail and then follow up with "A" phone call to her workplace.

Sorry and good luck!
Deb

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #47 of 54

LaBellaFlor, I sure understand about the employer favorable employment laws. Idaho is the same. The company I worked for here also has a site in Manassas, and I spent some time working there, so I know what you mean! I really loved Virginia, by the way. It's a beautiful state and I was in heaven being so close to Washington, DC. Don't miss the humidity, though! Nearly killed me!!

Loriana, I'm not terribly well versed in the collection laws. Others in this post have said that collectors have to stop calling if asked, so that may be true. I imagine it varies state to state.

I worked for a big employer with sophisticated systems that could automatically screen some calls and any e-mails, so we helped employees with that when they were harassed at work (although it was usually ex-spouses!). We also had a big security group that coordinated with law enforcement to get those things stopped. I think it's harder with a smaller employer to shield your employees from that kind of thing.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP!

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalex

A week ago I dropped off a 9X13 cake to a kids bouncing place. The person it was for was not there and I was not able to stay to collect the money. It was a camp rock cake and I spent a lot of time doing 3-D work (like a sign, the fire, an electric guitar, etc). I only charged her $30. When I called about collecting the money, the lady said it was not the cake she ordered. She said it was suppose to be a full sheet cake with a picture of the Jonas Brothers on it. I know for a fact she never mentioned that. I asked her if she really thought she was going to get a full sheet cake for only $30. She said "yes, I always get character cakes for that much!". I can't believe she thinks she can get a cake to feed 50 ppl. for only $30! I sort of believe she may only be trying to get out of paying me because she had to go to a grocery store to get another cake to feed all the people who were coming to the party. It makes me so mad, and I didn't know what to say. I just let her get by with it because I don't know if it's worth trying to get money out of someone like that. ARGHHHH!!!!

My first reply to the "customer" would be "Did you eat it?" Whether or not it was what she ordered, if they ate it they better DARN WELL PAY FOR THE CAKE!!! Sorry, it just makes my blood boil when someone thinks they can pull one over on you. I had someone do that to me just once...and I never sold to them again! Stand your ground!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #49 of 54

Girl tell me where she works. I'm been in a bad mood for a couple of weeks and would be more than happy to go take it out on her! Sorry no other helpful advice here.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #50 of 54

I love the Manasa area too, it reminds me a little of California. I live in the Richmond area, NOTHING like Northern VA. And yes, the humidity can kill you! It took me 3 years to get used to the summers here.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:

Hey Ruth, I was following some of the arguments on this thread and have a question for you since you are an HR person icon_smile.gif :

I used to get bill collectors call once or twice a day for sales reps at an old company I worked at. Someone once told me through the "rumor-mill" that if you tell the bill collector that they cannot call their place of business anymore, they had to stop. I want to say that this is right, isnt it? I ask because, it seems the collectors would put that note in their systems and many times I would stop getting calls from that collector for that person.

I guess what I am asking is: Once a bill collector is told it is a "place of business" for their collectee, they have to stop calling there, or it is harrassment, right?

No, not exactly, they have to say don't call me at work anymore. You can call there until they or their boss asks/tells you to not call there.

All this is covered in the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act aka FDCPA.

And I explained this in my first post too~~that's just the way it is whether we like it and agree with it or not. I was a Credit and Collection Supervisor for a major company so...there it is. But I mean it's nice to know how to handle these things when we need to though huh.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:

No, not exactly, they have to say don't call me at work anymore. You can call there until they or their boss asks/tells you to not call there.

All this is covered in the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act aka FDCPA.

And I explained this in my first post too~~that's just the way it is whether we like it and agree with it or not. I was a Credit and Collection Supervisor for a major company so...there it is. But I mean it's nice to know how to handle these things when we need to though huh.

That is great to know. Thanks K8! icon_smile.gif

Also, I too am sorry for hijacking the OP's thread. And I am sorry about your $30...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

Okay, this is me being dumb & inexperienced icon_eek.gif
Is sheet & slab the same thing?

I think the terms are regional, or could be just what some people's family say.

I also am not a fan of the word "slab" cake. Whenever I see/hear it, I get this vision of Mick Jagger or Gene Simmon's tongue hanging down to their chin as they drag out the word "sl-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-b!"

It's just gross to me.

And yeah ... whoever said it before ... a "slab" is the place they lay the dead body in the morgue.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #54 of 54

You stab em we slab em!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%