Cake Receipe

Decorating By dmarie97 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm by kakeladi

dmarie97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmarie97 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my daughter's wedding cake and this is my first. What chocolate cake receipe is the best to use? I have tried my receipe that I always use and I don't think it's strong enough to hold up or should that be a concern. I'm using a lb cake and carrot cake receipe for the other layers. I plan on stacking cakes and using dowels.

A tried and true receipe from one of the many experts would be great!

3 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 4
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, dmarie97. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

You should be able to use any recipe that yields a cake which can support the weight of buttercream and/or fondant frosting.

The cake layers/tiers at the bottom don't support the weight of the cake layers/tiers above them - that's the job of your cake support system.

No one has expressed the concept as clearly as Indydebi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Best recipe for a tiered cake" .......

If you're asking what kind of cake will hold up for a tiered cake, then the asnwer is "any of them".

The bottom cake does not support the top tier. Your support system supports the top tier. You could make a bottom tier entirely out of Cool Whip or Jell-O and if you had a good support system, the upper tier would sit in place just fine.

Taken from this "best cake recipe for tiered cake???" thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622384-whip.html

The above everything thread has link to illustrated common cake support systems with complete directions. Leahs also has posted on SPS. Here's a sticky by leahs on SPS:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 4

Here is a great recipeicon_smile.gif Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES:**any cake flavor can be used**. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. Flavoring is rather personal - if you don't like almond leave it out and increase the vanilla etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, cream, fz juice concentrate (ie:lemonade) or coffee for the liquid to go w/the cake flavor.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.
Zest (grated fruit peel) can be added w/the dry ingredients.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%