Fondant Disaster! Please I Need Help!

Decorating By blueberrycheesecake Updated 7 May 2009 , 2:24pm by blueberrycheesecake

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 13

Hi! I tried making fondant again (after how many months!) in preparation for the wedding cake my partner & I are making.

It looked fondant alright & it tasted good, but my problem is, when I tried kneading the fondant and rolling my pin over it to cover a test cake, it keeps on breaking. Literally. I cannot smooth it because it breaks a lot. It's like a bread that was left so many days and hardened so when you try to knead it, it breaks into pieces?

Can anybody give me advise on this? Pleas? thanks! icon_redface.gif

12 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 13

Knead some shortening into it. It is too dry.

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 13

More shortening, definetly! Good luck!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 13

What recipe were you using? That might have to do with it, but it also sounds like you worked too much sugar into it. This is a lesson I learned recently after making fondant from several different recipes (and none of them turning out icon_cry.gif !). I found that if I left it softer and even a little sticky on the first go-round, it firmed up nicely after ripening. Also, the best recipe I've come across as far as taste and pliability are concerned is Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant (found right here on CC). If you have the time and ingredients, I'd suggest you just start over with this recipe and less sugar when you're kneading it the first time. Hope you find something that works, because fondant can either be your worst nightmare or your greatest joy as a decorator icon_biggrin.gif .

blueberrycheesecake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #5 of 13

This is my recipe, Marianna :

1kg pure icing sugar
1 tbsp gelatine
1/4 cup water
1/2 liquid glucose
1 tbsp glycerine
1 cup pure icing sugar, extra

Sift sugar in a mixing bowl.
Combine gelatine & water.
Add glucos, and place over gentle heat until the gelatine has completely dissolved.
Remove from heat, stir in glycerine.
Cool 1 minute.
Make a well in the center of icing sugar and pour in gelatine mixture.
Knead with a wooden spoon.

===============

I am not sure if I should let the gelatine mixture (with glucose) boil for a few minutes (maybe 3-4mins), but that's how I did it. And then mixed that with the icing sugar after.

Do you think I did it right?

blueberrycheesecake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 13

Thanks you guys! i will try it with more shortening.. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #7 of 13

Hi, blueberrycheesecake, how's it going with the fondant? Since you were kind enough to post your recipe, I compared it to the one I use, which is Michele's Delicious Fondant (she just posted an update to it today in the recipe section, but I haven't really looked at it yet). Your recipe looks very similar to hers, except for 2 things: yours could use about 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or shortening and, for the amount of other ingredients in your recipe, I've never been able to work in more than about 750-850 grams of sugar and have it come out right. I start out with a kilo bag and always have 1 or 2 cups left over. I don't know anything about boiling the gelatin mixture, but all you really need to do is heat it enough for the gelatin and fat to melt. Best of luck and please let us know how you solve this problem -- we could all learn something here!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #8 of 13

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I just saw a comment from Michele herself on another thread (called "Left my (dis)comfort zone, Michele you're my hero..."), and she says something really interesting: you have to let fondant rest for at least 8 hours or "it will break and make you crazy". In other words it won't be stretchy enough to use. Could this have anything to do with your problem?

blueberrycheesecake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Hi, blueberrycheesecake, how's it going with the fondant? Since you were kind enough to post your recipe, I compared it to the one I use, which is Michele's Delicious Fondant (she just posted an update to it today in the recipe section, but I haven't really looked at it yet). Your recipe looks very similar to hers, except for 2 things: yours could use about 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or shortening and, for the amount of other ingredients in your recipe, I've never been able to work in more than about 750-850 grams of sugar and have it come out right. I start out with a kilo bag and always have 1 or 2 cups left over. I don't know anything about boiling the gelatin mixture, but all you really need to do is heat it enough for the gelatin and fat to melt. Best of luck and please let us know how you solve this problem -- we could all learn something here!

hi, Marrianna! Thanks a lot for this.. another knowledge for me.. icon_smile.gif
Tonight, my partner & I will try the fondant again.

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 13

I hate making fondant!!!! It truly is a drag for me. I have tried every recipe, I bought Carries video on fabulous fondant, used recipes found here in the cc and have only found the mmf to be what works!!! I really wish I could make my fondant but its not working out !!!

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 13

I hate making fondant!!!! It truly is a drag for me. I have tried every recipe, I bought Carries video on fabulous fondant, used recipes found here in the cc and have only found the mmf to be what works!!! I really wish I could make my fondant but its not working out !!!

Marianna46 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 13

I know what you mean, todolomio! After posting my know-it-all-reply about not putting too much powdered sugar in the fondant to
blueberrycheesecake, I made another batch that just wouldn't come together without a ton of sugar, and of course all it did when I tried to cover a cake with it was to tear and bunch up and make ruffles at the bottom instead of being stretchy and pliable enough to mold to the cake. This time, I think the gelatin mixture was still too hot when I started adding the sugar, and so it absorbed more, but who knows. I guess we could all use more practice on this!

blueberrycheesecake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I know what you mean, todolomio! After posting my know-it-all-reply about not putting too much powdered sugar in the fondant to
blueberrycheesecake, I made another batch that just wouldn't come together without a ton of sugar, and of course all it did when I tried to cover a cake with it was to tear and bunch up and make ruffles at the bottom instead of being stretchy and pliable enough to mold to the cake. This time, I think the gelatin mixture was still too hot when I started adding the sugar, and so it absorbed more, but who knows. I guess we could all use more practice on this!

hello everyone! I was able to perfect the fondant. I haven't tried Michelle's fondant yet. BUt soon I will.

Here is the recipe I used :

======================================
step 1: Mix 6 cups of sifted powdered sugar and 2 tsp tylose

Step 2: Melt in a stainless pot on top of a double boiler:
1 Tbsp unfalavored gelatin
1/4 C water
1/2 C glucose
1 Tbsp Glycerin
2 Tbsp shortening

mix and melt completely, then while hot, mix to powderd sugar and knead until right consistency is achieved. Gradually add powderd sugar until right consistency is achieved.

======================================

With this recipe, my partner & I made sure we have mixed the water & gelatin well first without heating it yet. Once the gelatin mixes with the water (no lumps), we added the other ingredients & started to heat it. We used low heat and kept on stirring until we were sure that all of the ingredients are well blended.

Now, with the powdered/confectioner's sugar & tylose powder, we made sure that it was evenly mixed so I didn't stop mixing until I was sure that I had mixed the 2 enough.

After pouring the gelatin mixture in the powdered sugar, we put on more powdered sugar while kneading the fondant. This was a total workout. I made sure that the fondant is pliable enough before covering it with cling wrap & let it sit for an hour or so. It is so much better to use a big rolling pin and a table to work on the fondant well.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%